FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are sold out flights not supposed to show when searching?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:55 am
fassy

F
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some airlines have a benefit, negotiated or otherwise, to allow some people to get booked into rather expensive full fare economy class fares on sold-out flights with otherwise no space available for sale to the general public.

I have had some carriers book me onto flights that weren't available for sale to the general public (i.e. all available inventory on the sold-out flight was zero in the systems used by the airlines and travel agencies), and I think we were required to put in such requests at least 2-72 hours in advance of scheduled flight time.

SkyTeam, for example, has as benefit for ElitePlus members a supposedly guaranteed benefit to book economy class seats on sold-out SkyTeam carrier flights as long as the request is made 24 hours in advance of scheduled departure. It's booked as full-fare tickets with fare basis such as Y, YO2, YD, and Y2, and so it tends to be anything but cheap.
SK has the same for their Elites. Requires 48 hours ahead of travel booking for EBG and 24 hours for EBD. Used it like two or three times and was expensive as hell... but worked.