Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Are sold out flights not supposed to show when searching?

Old Apr 24, 19, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus

I was looking at a flight today from CPH-AAR that for several days has not been displayed when searching so I just assumed that flight was not flying today.

Then today I checked anyways and it did come up with some available Plus tickets. Later it showed up but said fully booked in all classes. Then back to not showing at all and then at the end there were tickets in all classes.

Itís a busy flight so not surprising that it was sold out and that some then changed their flight. However it seems to make no sense that it does not show at all. Most people I guess would book a train and not think to check again. It if course makes less sense that it sometimes showed as fully booked. It seemed completely random.

My my question is essentially what is normal here. I know SK IT is sometimes unreliable but this seems very odd.

Also, is there somewhere I can see the schedule of all flights on a particular day? Airport website is not helpful as the flight has appeared as not existing for several days at least.
Old Apr 24, 19, 4:57 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
I normally use expertflyer when I want to get an idea of flights on a route on specific dates. It also gives the seat availability etc. Here you can also setup alerts when seats become available.
I have wondered about the missing flights on the SK booking site too. As far as I can see. If there are no connections the flights disappear when they are sold out. If there are connections they stay there.
The reason the flight came back with seats available in all classes could be because they switched to a bigger plane.
Old Apr 24, 19, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by SASegments View Post
Itís a busy flight so not surprising that it was sold out and that some then changed their flight. However it seems to make no sense that it does not show at all. Most people I guess would book a train and not think to check again. It if course makes less sense that it sometimes showed as fully booked. It seemed completely random.
There are both good and bad reasons to show fully booked connection. If you show the flight, then people can see the timetable, but you also confuse people in that they may believe that you can book tickets for that flight in one way or another. That is only possible if someone cancels a booking.

SJ (Swedish railways) shows fully booked connections. The website is optimised to only show the fastest connection, and if the fastest connection is fully booked, then the website still only shows the fastest (but fully booked) connection and won't show slower but not fully booked connections and so the website prevents you from travelling.
Old Apr 25, 19, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When all available inventory in a class of service on a given flight is at 0, searches for flights in a class of service will generally not show that 0'ed inventory flight in flight searches when using most online travel agencies and airline websites/apps.

Originally Posted by Some person View Post
There are both good and bad reasons to show fully booked connection. If you show the flight, then people can see the timetable, but you also confuse people in that they may believe that you can book tickets for that flight in one way or another. That is only possible if someone cancels a booking.
Some airlines have a benefit, negotiated or otherwise, to allow some people to get booked into rather expensive full fare economy class fares on sold-out flights with otherwise no space available for sale to the general public.

I have had some carriers book me onto flights that weren't available for sale to the general public (i.e. all available inventory on the sold-out flight was zero in the systems used by the airlines and travel agencies), and I think we were required to put in such requests at least 2-72 hours in advance of scheduled flight time.

SkyTeam, for example, has as benefit for ElitePlus members a supposedly guaranteed benefit to book economy class seats on sold-out SkyTeam carrier flights as long as the request is made 24 hours in advance of scheduled departure. It's booked as full-fare tickets with fare basis such as Y, YO2, YD, and Y2, and so it tends to be anything but cheap.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 25, 19 at 1:49 am
Old Apr 25, 19, 3:55 am

F
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Some airlines have a benefit, negotiated or otherwise, to allow some people to get booked into rather expensive full fare economy class fares on sold-out flights with otherwise no space available for sale to the general public.

I have had some carriers book me onto flights that weren't available for sale to the general public (i.e. all available inventory on the sold-out flight was zero in the systems used by the airlines and travel agencies), and I think we were required to put in such requests at least 2-72 hours in advance of scheduled flight time.

SkyTeam, for example, has as benefit for ElitePlus members a supposedly guaranteed benefit to book economy class seats on sold-out SkyTeam carrier flights as long as the request is made 24 hours in advance of scheduled departure. It's booked as full-fare tickets with fare basis such as Y, YO2, YD, and Y2, and so it tends to be anything but cheap.
SK has the same for their Elites. Requires 48 hours ahead of travel booking for EBG and 24 hours for EBD. Used it like two or three times and was expensive as hell... but worked.
Old Apr 25, 19, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
F

SK has the same for their Elites. Requires 48 hours ahead of travel booking for EBG and 24 hours for EBD. Used it like two or three times and was expensive as hell... but worked.
Value of benefit is limited if it is kept secret what flights there are I suppose. They donít show up when logged in as EBG either.
Old Apr 25, 19, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
It's not surprising that it is "expensive as hell" as SAS has to pay 250 to 600 euros to someone else if you use this perk.
Old Apr 25, 19, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's not surprising that it is "expensive as hell" as SAS has to pay 250 to 600 euros to someone else if you use this perk.
In my experience of getting overrides onto sold-out flights for non-governmental travel, the fare seemed to be way more than enough to offset typical IDB/VDB amounts paid to a displaced passenger flying the same flights on the cheapest tickets. Also, I am pretty sure that in many such instances, the airline isn't necessarily paying money out to as they can try to pre-empt ending up in an oversold situation for the cabin/flight or have other passengers who misconnect, no-show, re-book anyway.
Old Apr 25, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Value of benefit is limited if it is kept secret what flights there are I suppose. They donít show up when logged in as EBG either.
I believe it's listed as one of the benefits of being EBG or EBD. It's also stated there that you have to call the SK ticket office to use the benefit.
Old Apr 25, 19, 8:16 am

Value of benefit is limited if it is kept secret what flights there are I suppose. They don’t show up when logged in as EBG either.

Well, for most people who use this benefit it is no magic to find out which flights should operate on a given day... If I try to book a flight on a given day and there is a huge gap in the schedule I usually just click the next and previous day to see if there is really no flight scheduled during the "no flight listes gap" or use timetables: https://flights.staralliance.com/en/ (scroll down, search schedule).

In Europe, they put you in full fare C, for CPH - WRO it was about 8.500 SEK. Still was worth every penny. I don't think they even IDBed people on my flights. I guess there were a couple of no-shows, last minute cancelation/rebookings or misconnects.

Haven't tried for a flight e.g. CPH-ORD or CPH-SFO. I think there you are only entitled to a M-seat, not Plus or Business. Guess you have to pay at least 25.000k for one of those. Which makes very little sense as you can probably book via FRA/MUC/LHR/YYZ for a fraction of that. I looked at booking CPH-SFO last week on Modnay for departure on Tuesday, LH and UA were offering the r/t in Y for $850. (And I was lucky on got LH F for 87.500 points and $130 )

Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
I believe it's listed as one of the benefits of being EBG or EBD. It's also stated there that you have to call the SK ticket office to use the benefit.
Yes, as said. Deadlines for guaranteed seats are 48hrs for EBG and 24hrs for EBD. You have to call in.

Last edited by fassy; Apr 25, 19 at 8:47 am

Search this Thread