FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aspire Card Two Annual Fees(?)
View Single Post
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:04 pm
cheaptom

Aspire Card Two Annual Fees(?)

In December 2018, I upgraded from the Ascend card to the Aspire, and I knew it was $450 AF. I assumed the AF would hit in the first or second cycle. On my March statement, I saw a Membership Fee of $75. I paid it, thinking I would now owe $375. So in April statement, there is a second Membership Fee of $450.
I called in to question this, and long story short, here is what they explained:
The Aspire benefits began in December when I upgraded from the old-Ascend. $450 per year divided by 12 months is $37.50 per month. So they charged me for January and February. $37.50 x 2 months = $75. Then in March, my full, non-prorated AF began. That is $450.
So I asked, why not charge me the full $450 in December 2018. Why make me pay for the rest of my old-ascend term, and then re-bill me $450? The way they do it, I'm paying two separate membership fees, two separate months in a row. She kept telling me that it's because of the cycle of my old-ascend card. I believe that, but still I asked for a credit back on that $75. As I'm now paying $525 for membership that began last December. No dice.

Is this a possible HUCA situation where someone might see my side and give me a courtesy credit of $75? If not, without a good secure message system at Amex, where's a good address to write to someone?