FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:51 am
ISTFlyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Quick questions about "Basic Economy" fare...

1) Is it true "Basic Economy" fare between N.A. and Europe earns 0 miles. But N.A. to Asia (for example) is always "Economy", hence you can earn miles?

2) Say if I booked a "Basic Economy" (shown as K fare) from N.A. to Europe, will I still earn miles at A3 FFP*?
* Maybe this is somewhat similar to AC metal issue? People were reporting even they booked a fare that suppose to earn miles, but because it is the cheapest fare, AC reports a different fare class to their FFP hence ended up with 0% mile.

Sorry, I haven't flown UA to Europe before and I am avoiding AC for now, and I can't seems to find a clear answer to my questions.
1- Basic Economy is offered on selected routes and may not be offered on some routes that have high demand and high prices.

2- For other FFP programs than MileagePlus, you would earn miles for Basic Economy at the same rate as your booking class without any reduction. For your situation K would earn %50 on A3 M&B even if you booked Basic Economy. However, you would earn %50 of PQM and 0.5 PQS per flight despite your booking class ( fare basis ) when you credit a UA BE ticket to MileagePlus.

This is my source for earning miles on MileagePlus while flying UA Basic Economy.