FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:57 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
(1) to figure out what the hell my "BASIC ECONOMY" fare is I should not have to read that entire thing, which is directed at travel agents. That you can't show me something easily findable on UA's consumer web-site explaining what the hell UA is doing, is a problem. (2) Even reading what you send me for travel agents, I don't find an answer for what I wanted to know which is "as a UA Gold/PLT, can I book E+ seats" It says "no premium cabin upgrades" and not "instrument upgrades", say like LH I can get a baggage fee waiver, but no clear answer of whether I can get an E+ seat...

By having so many odd gotcha rules that someone who has flown 2MM on UA, and 5MM total, can't figure out what the hell UA is selling me, is really setting up UA for unhappy customers. I just don't get this level of grief flying any other airline.
no need to read a memo to agents. Just book on UA.com, and the restrictions are therefor you to see. In fact, you have to specifically have to check a box (toggle a switch on the app) to agree that you accept them, and then click a button to continue (tried to post a pic on an itinerary I did on the app to FRA, but couldn't get it to work). Only takes a few lines of reading to figure it out (Note also the fare difference is $125, which is probably pretty close to the norm). Just did a check on DL.com on a TATL itinerary, and seems the message is even more clear on United (you don't have to click a link to get to the fine print, and presents more information upfront anyway). Price difference on both the DL BE to regular and UA one were exactly the same. Haven't perused the DL forum lately, but I'm wiling to bet you haven't criticized their handling of how they display BE restrictions).

Also fail to understand how it’s such a big deal to not be able to sit in E+ on a UA metal return when you specifically originally chose an LH flight on the outbound which is essentially the same pitch as an E- seat on UA.

Last edited by emcampbe; Apr 21, 2019 at 7:08 pm