FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:36 pm
spin88

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jsloan

Here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...onomy-faq.aspx
Look for the words "trans-Atlantic." TATL BE is just an LH light fare -- except for E+, which they don't offer anyway, it's the same restrictions you were willing to accept in the first place. It's a joint venture; the fares are aligned. It's the same product with a different name. They even issued guidance to travel agents about it: https://loyaltylobby.com/wp-content/...nsatlantic.pdf . They then went and modified it in December, including adding the very confusing name of "Basic Economy."

That indication only means that the lowest available booking class has X seats. It doesn't mean that all of the lower booking classes are available. That's how you ended in in W in the first place.

If you're happy paying about 2x the fare to fly AF PE, more power to you. Maybe LH should improve their website -- I personally think it's awful, so it's hard to disagree -- but the rest of this is a little bit of confusion, the very-avoidable-by-UA misunderstandings about two different products with the same "BE" name, and an awful lot of unfounded assumptions on your part. UA is not trying to charge $1000+ to move from BE to regular economy. It's just not happening.
(1) to figure out what the hell my "BASIC ECONOMY" fare is I should not have to read that entire thing, which is directed at travel agents. That you can't show me something easily findable on UA's consumer web-site explaining what the hell UA is doing, is a problem. (2) Even reading what you send me for travel agents, I don't find an answer for what I wanted to know which is "as a UA Gold/PLT, can I book E+ seats" It says "no premium cabin upgrades" and not "instrument upgrades", say like LH I can get a baggage fee waiver, but no clear answer of whether I can get an E+ seat...

By having so many odd gotcha rules that someone who has flown 2MM on UA, and 5MM total, can't figure out what the hell UA is selling me, is really setting up UA for unhappy customers. I just don't get this level of grief flying any other airline.