FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:02 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
In addition it's also unclear if the non BE option is available for a party of 4 at thattprice as the OP mentioned.
If the BE price was available, the non-BE price is also available. I don't think I've ever seen a capacity restriction encoded into a fare (other than accompanied travel required -- I've seen minima, but not maxima). If there were, it would be added to the BE fare also.

One thing the OP should consider whenever buying groups of tickets is to purchase them one at a time. If you try ordering 4 tickets the booking engine will look for whatever fare bucket has 4 seats available which may not be the lowest. Buying one seat at a time ensures you always book from the lowest bucket.
While this is true, there are advantages to being on the same PNR, from IRROPS handling to elite benefits. (It can be difficult to get a baggage waiver for an off-PNR companion, for example).

One question I do have for the FAQ is how do partners determine what should be Basic Economy or not? Clearly price wasn't the only factor in this instance. Is it possible to have only say 5 seats left in Y with UA still selling Basic Economy fares?
It's entirely based upon the fares. Partners can't sell UA domestic BE. TATL BE is just another name for the light fares (they end in LGT, as demonstrated by my Matrix search). LGT fares currently go up to W fare class. (Originally, W was excluded on ex-US fares, but I see that they've quietly lifted that restriction).

Price has nothing to do with it, and your earlier assertion that BE fares are about competing with Norwegian was just UA's marketing spin. They're trying to mask the fact that BE has actually been the most successful fare increase in aviation history. It has nothing to do with ULCCs and never has. (As a data point -- the most expensive light fare on SFO-CDG is over $2400 RT).

As for BE vs normal Y fare I will consider looking at normal fares the moment TPACS go that way. Currently AC is phasing that in and I suspect UA and the LH Group will follow suit.
Of course they will. As I said, BE has been the most successful fare increase in history.