FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Hilton website
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:25 pm
pmarrsouth

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JBD
Your suggestion that I should pay for my own domain to circumnavigate HH's flawed new website, though, seems questionable.
It will generally help with your overall security. Apologies for sounding questionable while trying to assist you with such an issue. Its also a great and easy way to track & block SPAM, plus see what companies are selling your info, etc

Originally Posted by JBD
But perhaps the programmers thought as you seem to, that by prohibiting the customer from verifying their data is an enhancement. If so, I stand by my opinion that this is unwise as it gives hackers even more cover.
Hacker gains access to a HH account, due to a data breach, using a HH number and password. Hacker does not have the email address associated to that account. Hacker goes to the preferences/profile page and finds the email address attached to that account. Hacker then goes and tries to log into said email account using the same password, and it works due to [insert large percentage here] of people use the same password for everything. Once they log in, they can see all the emails that the person gets and can see which programs that person is part of. Hacker now has access to pretty much every one of them

So yea, them hiding some/most of an email address can enhance security, much like HH (and most other sites) hide some/most of your CC details on file too

Originally Posted by JBD
The new site is so buggy...
True