FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:10 am
buckeyefanflyer

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
June 30 marks 20 year anniversary of the inaugural of CO service CLE-LGW. I was on the flight along with the mayor, other city officials, and press. CO 66. Got gifts when landing in London. The route operated year round initially. Route was a victim of 9-11 cuts but then restarted following May. They even did another inaugural. Route would then only opeeate seasonal for several years. Then was changed to CLE-LHR. I was on that inaugural too.
Funny story I was only going to London for 1 day got a good fare had to return next day. Had hotel booked at LHR then would take train into the city for a day. But customs officials initially would not let me clear to enter as they deemed me as coming into the country for a day as suspicious. I was not happy, they made me sit in a roped off area but eventually let me in.
CLE-LHR only lasted one summer then discontinued even when we were still a hub and that reason has been discussed on this site.