FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Possible Downgrade from equipment change
View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:13 pm
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, when DL sells lots of very cheap upgrades to anyone, then I'm not so sure that elites shouldn't be prioritized. You can't be come DM by spending $10 or even $100.......
It's definitely a balance. I agree that in principle people that paid for first class should be the first to keep the seat.

That said, there is a lot more nuance to it than that. On a per-segment / cents per mile basis (and often outright), I generally pay more for my Y ticket than the majority of the people sitting in first class.

From a pure margin protection perspective, Delta is far more interested in keeping my business. I pay more for a seat that costs only 57% as much for Delta to serve.

I think a lot of people flying in F would be surprised that if fares were rank-ordered on a segment-cost basis and Delta seated people that way, they wouldn't make the "front of the cabin" cut.

On the flip side, the reason this is true is because I am a hub-captive and book late tickets (which incurs its own inventory spoilage costs). So Delta has less interest to protect my revenue.