FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get to Changi at night for cheap?
View Single Post
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:51 pm
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by paperwastage
As other people mentioned, you can take the first MRT train and reach airport in time

If you really want to save money on hotel and transportation:

Night before, take MRT and reach before midnight. CA allows early check-in with bag drop from 6am-2359. Snooze in a lounge (some lounges are very strict about 3hr limit,some aren't). I've done it for a 6am flight

If you want a good night's sleep but save on transportation: arrive at airport the night before.Rent a room (60-150) at the transit hotel

Transit Hotels Changi Airport Singapore
I did that on my last trip to Singapore. I booked an early morning flight to HK with CX. It's hard to say what time was the last train to Changi as I was changing lines to get there and the time that was listed is usually from a certain station. Since I'm not a local, it was hard to tell. I left my hotel at around 10 PM and made it to Changi shortly after 11 PM. The CX check-in counter was really neat as there wasn't really a counter. There was one rep to help people use the computer screen to check-in and then the tag and boarding pass are printed. I put the tag on my suitcase and then the rep took care of it for me. Not sure how things are like with CA, but if you tell me I can check-in my bag if I get there before midnight, then I'll consider that option again.

I'm at work right now so I can't remember the name of the lounge that I was in, but I used my Priority Pass to get in. It was in the same terminal that CX departed from. They did not enforce the time limit as I was in there for a little more than 3 hours. The lounge was probably half-full at that time, but still relatively quiet was people were probably exhausted. They also had a noodle station that made a pretty decent Laksa. Since I didn't had dinner that night, I grabbed probably 3-4 bowls before I left. The food was good. USB ports by the table. No one bothered me.

I thought about booking a night at an airport hotel, but I just don't think it's good value considering how little time I'll be spending in there sleeping. It's also hard to get any decent amount of sleep if I have a morning flight.