Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

How to get to Changi at night for cheap?

Old Mar 29, 19, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Unless I'm mistaken, Singapore taxis have a surcharge late at night. From experience, taxis seem to be the more expensive option. So here's the situation. I'm currently looking at flying with CA out of SIN and into PEK. The problem is that the flight that I have in mind is at 9 AM. I don't know what time is the first train to the airport. My plan is to just sleep in on the night before my flight. Wake up later in the day and then just spend as much time outside as possible. Go back to my hotel at 1-2 AM in the morning and start packing. Head to the airport at around 4-5 AM in the morning. Or I can go back to my hotel earlier and basically check out at midnight and start heading to the airport. Then spend the next 7-8 hours at Changi and inside the lounges. I do have a Priority Pass. So what would you guys do and what are some decent options?

Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
You should have no problem taking train assuming that you arrive around 8AM at Changi.

You did not say where are you going to stay, but for example the first train from Raffles Place towards the airport is at 6AM https://www.sgtrains.com/guide-traintiming.html
And the train ride is about 40 min Even if you are coming from Jurong East, you should be at the airport in about 70min. Just make sure that you are on the first train.

Last edited by invisible; Mar 29, 19 at 7:46 pm
Old Mar 31, 19, 10:21 pm

I don't think spending 7 - 8 hours is a fantastic idea, even with lounge passes.

Grab (the SE Asian equivalent of Uber) does typically offer better rates than taxis. Especially if it's just one person. You can choose the Grab Share option which will take longer than a direct Grab, but will be $2-3 cheaper. I would add 50% to the expected travel time. So if it takes 30mins from city centre, allow for 45 minutes.

For the 9 am flight, you would want to get to the airport around 7.30, so booking a grab at 6am should get you there in time - at least you get some kip in a bed (that you've paid for) rather than in a lounge.
Old Mar 31, 19, 10:48 pm

I think he wants to 'get to Changi cheap', based on the title of the thread.
I think as long as one gets to the first train on EWL or Downtown lines going to towards Changi/Expo, getting there before 8AM should not be a problem.
Old Apr 1, 19, 3:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Trains run from 5:30-6 AM, so getting to Changi by 8 AM should not be a problem from anywhere in Singapore First and last train timings are available for all stations, and it's just a matter of a quick google search to find them
Old Apr 1, 19, 6:12 am

As other people mentioned, you can take the first MRT train and reach airport in time

If you really want to save money on hotel and transportation:

Night before, take MRT and reach before midnight. CA allows early check-in with bag drop from 6am-2359. Snooze in a lounge (some lounges are very strict about 3hr limit,some aren't). I've done it for a 6am flight

If you want a good night's sleep but save on transportation: arrive at airport the night before.Rent a room (60-150) at the transit hotel

Transit Hotels | Changi Airport Singapore
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 1, 19, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Gojek is a recent competitor to Grab and usually a bit cheaper. Both services often have promo codes for discounts for first-time users, so Google this.

Or rent a bike and cycle up East Coast Park? Should be cooler that time of the morning.
Old Apr 1, 19, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
As other people mentioned, you can take the first MRT train and reach airport in time

If you really want to save money on hotel and transportation:

Night before, take MRT and reach before midnight. CA allows early check-in with bag drop from 6am-2359. Snooze in a lounge (some lounges are very strict about 3hr limit,some aren't). I've done it for a 6am flight

If you want a good night's sleep but save on transportation: arrive at airport the night before.Rent a room (60-150) at the transit hotel

Transit Hotels Changi Airport Singapore
I did that on my last trip to Singapore. I booked an early morning flight to HK with CX. It's hard to say what time was the last train to Changi as I was changing lines to get there and the time that was listed is usually from a certain station. Since I'm not a local, it was hard to tell. I left my hotel at around 10 PM and made it to Changi shortly after 11 PM. The CX check-in counter was really neat as there wasn't really a counter. There was one rep to help people use the computer screen to check-in and then the tag and boarding pass are printed. I put the tag on my suitcase and then the rep took care of it for me. Not sure how things are like with CA, but if you tell me I can check-in my bag if I get there before midnight, then I'll consider that option again.

I'm at work right now so I can't remember the name of the lounge that I was in, but I used my Priority Pass to get in. It was in the same terminal that CX departed from. They did not enforce the time limit as I was in there for a little more than 3 hours. The lounge was probably half-full at that time, but still relatively quiet was people were probably exhausted. They also had a noodle station that made a pretty decent Laksa. Since I didn't had dinner that night, I grabbed probably 3-4 bowls before I left. The food was good. USB ports by the table. No one bothered me.

I thought about booking a night at an airport hotel, but I just don't think it's good value considering how little time I'll be spending in there sleeping. It's also hard to get any decent amount of sleep if I have a morning flight.
Old Apr 1, 19, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I did that on my last trip to Singapore. I booked an early morning flight to HK with CX. It's hard to say what time was the last train to Changi as I was changing lines to get there and the time that was listed is usually from a certain station. Since I'm not a local, it was hard to tell. I left my hotel at around 10 PM and made it to Changi shortly after 11 PM. The CX check-in counter was really neat as there wasn't really a counter. There was one rep to help people use the computer screen to check-in and then the tag and boarding pass are printed. I put the tag on my suitcase and then the rep took care of it for me. Not sure how things are like with CA, but if you tell me I can check-in my bag if I get there before midnight, then I'll consider that option again.

I'm at work right now so I can't remember the name of the lounge that I was in, but I used my Priority Pass to get in. It was in the same terminal that CX departed from. They did not enforce the time limit as I was in there for a little more than 3 hours. The lounge was probably half-full at that time, but still relatively quiet was people were probably exhausted. They also had a noodle station that made a pretty decent Laksa. Since I didn't had dinner that night, I grabbed probably 3-4 bowls before I left. The food was good. USB ports by the table. No one bothered me.

I thought about booking a night at an airport hotel, but I just don't think it's good value considering how little time I'll be spending in there sleeping. It's also hard to get any decent amount of sleep if I have a morning flight.
Early Check-in | Changi Airport Singapore

Note that not all airlines participate in early check-in (DL and UA doesn't)

Cx early check-in 0430-0030 at T4

T4 is a pain to get to (MRT goes to T2, then you have to take shuttle bus from T2 to T4). OP cannot get into T4 with a CA boarding pass (CA uses T1)

Plazapremium at T1 is pretty good. They have ondemand laksa/chicken rice during late night hours. Sats at T1 had good massaging chairs

@lsquare, your lounge at T4 (blossom) is jointly operated by plaza premium and sats. I expect similar service between the two (been to almost all the PP lounges in T1-3)

Last edited by paperwastage; Apr 1, 19 at 6:06 pm
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:11 pm

Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
Never paid more than $30 from downtown to Changi by regular taxi
Old Apr 29, 19, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by adampenrith View Post
Never paid more than $30 from downtown to Changi by regular taxi
IF you can get one.

Try to get a taxi at Raffles Place on Friday at 6PM to go to Changi. Would be an interesting experience. Last week Grab wanted for this ride $80. No joke.
Old May 1, 19, 2:16 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Way too much thinking going on in this thread!

The idea that it's hard to get to the airport for a 9am flight is laughable. 1 hour is plenty in Singapore. A taxi or Grab takes 20 mins from downtown, a train no more than 40 mins and costs about 2 sing dollars. Everything will be running when you need to go. Or there are oodles of cheap hotels near the airport with free shuttles. Not the expensive one that is attached, the ones in the adjacent suburb. Any booking engine like Agoda will find them. (Flew out of Singapore this morning, a place I fly to often).