FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Windows update is a virus
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:34 pm
StuckInYYZ

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Thanks. I never got to group policy editing, just did it. Hopefully it holds (with each change Microsoft seems to want to force updates even more. Even the ones untested and that erase user's data).
Originally Posted by javabytes
The idea that it’s okay for a computer to reboot itself during non-working hours is misguided at best.
This is really not recommended. Let's forget the leaving yourself open to vulnerabilities (and not even discuss out-of-band patches). You have pending patches that need to be completed. Some of the patches have often been applied (MS says no, it's all or nothing, but I've seen it happen). Which means you could be calling on the wrong libraries in your system. That could cause issues if the files are mismatched.

Then also, you could potentially have TWO months worth of patching pending... (and that's not including feature updates and out of band stuff)

Also, at up to potentially 65ish days of not rebooting, you haven't noticed a performance decrease due to memory leaks?

I have seen older Windows systems that have not been rebooted for up to three years at a time because the app support team didn't want the monthly alerts (and somehow disabled the patching agent)... Let's just say the audit departments had a field day with those teams and some very nasty penalties were issued.

Anyway, my point is, disabling the auto reboot is a bad idea. I'd configure it to reboot outside of active hours at the very least. But definitely manually reboot at least once a week.