Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Windows update is a virus

Windows update is a virus

Old Dec 30, 10, 10:44 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Department of Homeland Sincerity
Programs: WN Platinum
Posts: 12,075
Thumbs down Windows update is a virus

I had Windows update looping a month or two ago. I had to download Windows update fixit tool to get it working properly.

Now Windows is notifying me of updates from a year or two ago...update after update...endless BS.

Windows sucks!!! http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archi...kb2416400.aspx
UALOneKPlus is offline  
Old Dec 31, 10, 5:20 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: in the vicinity of SFO
Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Posts: 18,690
Which version of Windows? And how long since a clean reinstall?
nkedel is offline  
Old Dec 31, 10, 5:25 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,486
Ugh. Sounds like a nasty problem

Like the previous poster said, a clean install may be the best route to take...
ScottC is offline  
Old Dec 31, 10, 6:06 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
Posts: 291
Is there an easier fix for this? I think one of my computers may be having this problem.
sithjedi333 is offline  
Old Mar 30, 19, 2:26 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,256
On a similar but separate note:
Windows update is a virus! It just reset my computer, losing all my work. I realized basically Windows update is a virus, if you define a virus as a program that causes you harm.
(I have professional so can put off updates, but I guess only for 35 days. And yesterday must have been day 35)
s0ssos is offline  
Old Mar 30, 19, 3:20 pm
  #6  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 15,416
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
On a similar but separate note:
Windows update is a virus! It just reset my computer, losing all my work. I realized basically Windows update is a virus, if you define a virus as a program that causes you harm.
(I have professional so can put off updates, but I guess only for 35 days. And yesterday must have been day 35)
You didn't save your work, and Windows Update restarted your PC? No sympathy I'm afraid. It gives you lots of notice
smc333 likes this.
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Mar 30, 19, 3:26 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,340
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
You didn't save your work, and Windows Update restarted your PC? No sympathy I'm afraid. It gives you lots of notice
No, it doesn't... not on Windows 10. If you step away from your computer for a couple hours in the afternoon, you might find it reboots in the early evening without you seeing any notification.

Installing updates upon reboot is fine... initiating an automatic reboot to install updates is completely unacceptable. Fortunately there's a way to force Windows never to reboot itself automatically to initiate an update, which is the way Microsoft should have set it to behave by default.

gpedit.msc
Local Computer Policy --> Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Update, then set "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" to Enabled.
javabytes is offline  
Old Mar 30, 19, 3:32 pm
  #8  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 15,416
Maybe it's just something my company supplied Win10 laptop has then. I get a box in the lower right hand corner saying "Updates will be installed by dd/mm/yyyy" of similar. I can then choose to install now, or defer. It looks like a standard Microsoft dialog.
​​​​​
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Mar 30, 19, 3:44 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 16,150
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Maybe it's just something my company supplied Win10 laptop has then. I get a box in the lower right hand corner saying "Updates will be installed by dd/mm/yyyy" of similar. I can then choose to install now, or defer. It looks like a standard Microsoft dialog.
​​​​​
FT thread -- > "Windows 10 spontaneous re-boot" clinic
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Mar 30, 19, 4:35 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,256
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
No, it doesn't... not on Windows 10. If you step away from your computer for a couple hours in the afternoon, you might find it reboots in the early evening without you seeing any notification.

Installing updates upon reboot is fine... initiating an automatic reboot to install updates is completely unacceptable. Fortunately there's a way to force Windows never to reboot itself automatically to initiate an update, which is the way Microsoft should have set it to behave by default.

gpedit.msc
Local Computer Policy --> Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Update, then set "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" to Enabled.
Thanks. I never got to group policy editing, just did it. Hopefully it holds (with each change Microsoft seems to want to force updates even more. Even the ones untested and that erase user's data).
s0ssos is offline  
Old Mar 30, 19, 9:14 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 26,873
It spontaneously rebooted your machine in the middle of what's defined as working hours for Windows without any user notice? That's odd.

Or did you leave unsaved changes overnight?

As discussed in the attached thread, various versions of Windows have settings to avoid this, including the newest version of Home.
smc333 likes this.
CPRich is offline  
Old Mar 31, 19, 12:42 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,340
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
It spontaneously rebooted your machine in the middle of what's defined as working hours for Windows without any user notice? That's odd.

Or did you leave unsaved changes overnight?

As discussed in the attached thread, various versions of Windows have settings to avoid this, including the newest version of Home.
The idea that itís okay for a computer to reboot itself during non-working hours is misguided at best.
javabytes is offline  
Old Mar 31, 19, 1:43 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PWM - the way life should be
Posts: 12,331
I think this is handled in Settings -> Windows Update -> click the Advanced Options link -> turn on "Show a notification when your PC requires a reboot to finish updating"

I have only ever seen it ask me if I'm OK rebooting.
gfunkdave is offline  
Old Mar 31, 19, 8:34 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 584
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Thanks. I never got to group policy editing, just did it. Hopefully it holds (with each change Microsoft seems to want to force updates even more. Even the ones untested and that erase user's data).
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
The idea that itís okay for a computer to reboot itself during non-working hours is misguided at best.
This is really not recommended. Let's forget the leaving yourself open to vulnerabilities (and not even discuss out-of-band patches). You have pending patches that need to be completed. Some of the patches have often been applied (MS says no, it's all or nothing, but I've seen it happen). Which means you could be calling on the wrong libraries in your system. That could cause issues if the files are mismatched.

Then also, you could potentially have TWO months worth of patching pending... (and that's not including feature updates and out of band stuff)

Also, at up to potentially 65ish days of not rebooting, you haven't noticed a performance decrease due to memory leaks?

I have seen older Windows systems that have not been rebooted for up to three years at a time because the app support team didn't want the monthly alerts (and somehow disabled the patching agent)... Let's just say the audit departments had a field day with those teams and some very nasty penalties were issued.

Anyway, my point is, disabling the auto reboot is a bad idea. I'd configure it to reboot outside of active hours at the very least. But definitely manually reboot at least once a week.
StuckInYYZ is offline  
Old Mar 31, 19, 10:12 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,340
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ View Post
This is really not recommended. Let's forget the leaving yourself open to vulnerabilities (and not even discuss out-of-band patches). You have pending patches that need to be completed. Some of the patches have often been applied (MS says no, it's all or nothing, but I've seen it happen). Which means you could be calling on the wrong libraries in your system. That could cause issues if the files are mismatched.

Then also, you could potentially have TWO months worth of patching pending... (and that's not including feature updates and out of band stuff)

Also, at up to potentially 65ish days of not rebooting, you haven't noticed a performance decrease due to memory leaks?

I have seen older Windows systems that have not been rebooted for up to three years at a time because the app support team didn't want the monthly alerts (and somehow disabled the patching agent)... Let's just say the audit departments had a field day with those teams and some very nasty penalties were issued.

Anyway, my point is, disabling the auto reboot is a bad idea. I'd configure it to reboot outside of active hours at the very least. But definitely manually reboot at least once a week.
No, disabling auto reboots is a GOOD idea. Whether for your own personal computer or for a server, you should routinely patch and reboot it, but you should also control when reboots occur. This is not the same as disabling a patching agent.
cblaisd and Dodge DeBoulet like this.
javabytes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: