FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines Accuses Rogue Flight Attendants of Fraud
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:07 pm
1015-1k

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by Steve M
I think you have a fault in your logic. There's no relation between the age of senior flight attendants and this kind of fraud. The opportunity for fraud is created by the union seniority bidding system, not age. Do a thought experiment: consider the effect of a hypothetical mandatory FA retirement age. Pick several different possible cutoff ages among the population of 50,000 United flight attendants. No matter what age you pick, there would still need to be 50,000 flight attendants (older retired ones would be replaced with younger ones). But you still have the same situation: 50,000 flight attendants and a route bidding system based strictly on seniority. You have the same opportunity for this kind of fraud, whereby the more senior FAs have an opportunity to sell their bids to FAs of lower seniority.
I definitely see your point. But it is typically the older flight attendants that are more jaded and sick of their jobs and perhaps more likely to sell off routes they're not so excited about, or more likely to break company rules if they've developed enough spite for the company over the many years of employment. Anecdotal speculation indeed, but....Keep the workforce fresh, happy and excited to serve and I think it is a win-win all around.