FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel showing loyalty appreciation by posting names of all elite arrivals
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:34 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Perhaps so, but ignorance is no excuse for a privacy breach by a business which has been entrusted with customers' personal data. These properties' management needs to get with it and join the 21st Century.
But is your name really protected personal information? Or your Marriott status? In fact, does Marriott really own the latter anyway?
I'm a big fan of privacy, and don't want the hotel signs either, but people's names are used in public all the time. I'm unsure how having your name in a hotel lobby is much different than calling your name or having it on a board in a waiting room at some other business.

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter

I am a single female traveler. We don't need to advertise that fact!
What does this have to do with the topic? If your name is Jane Johnson, and I see a hotel sign with "J. Johnson - Platinum", I wouldn't know if you were either single or a female. I also wouldn't know if you're staying in the room alone or with someone. And then, I wouldn't know what room you're staying in or what you look like. All I know is some human named J. Johnson has Platinum status.

You're 1000x more likely to be spotted as a single female traveler when you enter the hotel and check in than you are from someone looking at a sign.

There are lots of reasons solo female travelers should be aware of their surroundings and such, but I don't see the tie-in to the signs.