Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel showing loyalty appreciation by posting names of all elite arrivals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List

I recently stayed at a Residence Inn in a very touristy part of California. It was a good visit that started off on a weird note because a list of today's elite arrivals was prominently framed for the guest to see at each front desk station:

(potato-quality image to protect the names of the innocent)

My stay history is 95% SPG, so I don't know if this is typical to expect with Marriott brands but this little invasion into to my privacy doesn't make me more loyal to Bonvoy. Do any other properties do this?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I recently stayed at a Four Points in Florida. This property hands out personalized / labelled water bottles to all arriving Elites.

These bottles are lined up on an open shelf next to reception in plain sight until the respective guest arrives.

While I appreciate the gesture, I wasn't thrilled to have my name advertised there for all to see.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
At least one other person on FT has commented on these. How incredibly bizarre. Maybe FHR hotels could put AMEX numbers up on a whiteboard too?
fdem likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Rental car companies do it too, your name on the board to tell elites what space or zone to get your car.

I guess this is a little worse because it not only lists elite names, but also the corresponding levels. I can't tell on the blurred image, is it first initial and last name, full name, or just last name?

Privacy issues aside, it's an interesting data point on the ratio of elite levels. It's interesting that there are so few Platinums compared to both Gold and Titanium, and fewer silvers than any of those.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
Originally Posted by swag
I can't tell on the blurred image, is it first initial and last name, full name, or just last name?
The list showed title and full last name.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would tell them that's a privacy violation. They should not be publishing guest names.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Having stayed at probably 100 different Marriott/SPG hotels, I've only seen this once at a hotel (think it was a Courtyard just outside of Louisville). So it definitely seems to be a property policy rather than system-wide. It should have no impact on your loyalty to Marriott, but you may want to rethink staying at that property.

I would agree that it's odd, and even slightly disturbing, although it's not like they put your room number on the board. I didn't care for it when I saw it though. It doesn't bother me from a personal perspective, but from a business perspective, when I'm in the middle of a large sales opportunity, I may not want competitors having that information if they're staying at the same hotel -- which happens more than you might think once you get outside larger cities.
boss315 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would tell them that's a privacy violation. They should not be publishing guest names.
Genuine question, because I'm sure you have some knowledge behind that statement...how do rental car companies and airlines (upgrade and standby lists) get away with posting that information publicly? There are probably other situations where this is true as well.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:28 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
While I don't see it often, I have come across some hotels (mostly limited service and extended stay hotels) that did something similar. Though I seem to remember they didn't normally print the whole name but used firstname+lastname initial or firstname initial+lastname. To me it is similar when going up to an airport car rental agency to see my name listed and what parking slot to go pick up my car (which is what Avis does.)
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SpeedyDelivery
I recently stayed at a Residence Inn in a very touristy part of California. It was a good visit that started off on a weird note because a list of today's elite arrivals was prominently framed for the guest to see at each front desk station:...so I don't know if this is typical to expect with Marriott brands but this little invasion into to my privacy doesn't make me more loyal to Bonvoy. Do any other properties do this?
It's not the norm. There are a few properties that do it, but it's really more the exception of the rule. The properties think they're probably doing a nice thing acknowledging elite guests & didn't think of the privacy angle - aka, no ill intent was intended & no good deed goes unpunished.

The other reason they might do it is because they get elites complaining that their status isn't acknowledged like we read continually about on FT

I know a couple of Residence Inn's that do a water bottle & Chex mix, along w/ a personalized note, to give to P/T/As at check-in. Personalized note says Welcome Mr/Ms (last name), thanks for your loyalty to Marriott, let us know if you need anything, that type of thing. No mention of status. Usually kept next to check-in terminal so they can easily reach it to give to the elite, but I can see where some might put it on the counter if there's a lot of them.

Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
This is highly GDPR sensetive...if this would have happen in Europe lol.
b00mer89 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:43 am

Not cool at all
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JBord
Genuine question, because I'm sure you have some knowledge behind that statement...how do rental car companies and airlines (upgrade and standby lists) get away with posting that information publicly? There are probably other situations where this is true as well.
I also believe companies should not be posting customer names, but I'd be more lenient with rental/airlines as it is more transient and most likely just for a short time while I'm passing through for an hour or so. But to have the place you're spending the night post it all day, the exposure is too great in my mind. Those that I want to know where I am know. I don't want/expect any calls to the property and back in the days before cell phones (yes, I remember those) hotel switchboards were mostly bad, either answering/putting calls through or giving out too much information.

I have seen signs posted in a few places but almost always taken down immediately when asked.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended

Find it difficult to see what people are getting worked about. If you have an unusual name and it thus identifies you thenI could Understand. Equally if you are seeking to cheat on your partner or indulge in some dubious or criminal activity then I could understand. I understand the Car Rental thing as it means you do not stand in line but the Hotel thing seems like a marketing exec is looking for a "perk" that does not cost anything. Idea does not bug me but I cannot see any point to it. Intrigued the EU would oppose this. Maybe our European friends have more they wish to cover up? It is like planes, where some flyers want to hide locked in a coffin like box or a flying Dilbert cubicle. Personally I like being able to look around but then I suffer from claustrophobia... How about giving us something useful. Had my doubts when I heard the name was Bonvoy, may be bad Catalan/Spanish I am going to be Good; in which case I do not need to hide?
Lehava, writerguyfl and wordsmith like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some RIs do this, including posting the name of their "guest of the day." I think it's inappropriate and tacky. For instance, suppose one of their guests was making a business trip related to a future M&A? It's also a security issue to post details of room occupancy.

ADDED: To respond to the post just above mine, a rapist is likely to target a room occupied by one female and no one else while a thief might prefer a room with one one occupant so as to be more able to overpower the guest if confronted. If someone wants to cheat on his/her spouse, why should the hotel "out" that paying guest? Similarly if a guest is taking a vacation after having told his/her employer that he/she is sick? Or what if the guest is a battered spouse with a restraining order, which wouldn't be an unusual guest profile for an extended stay property? In fact, I'm surprised that these hotels or Marriott aren't concerned about potential liability associated with the practice of publicly posting guest names.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 22, 2019 at 10:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.