FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel showing loyalty appreciation by posting names of all elite arrivals
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:00 pm
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jaunts
That's a good point. Doctor's offices often announce first and last names in the waiting room when they are calling people back to see the doctor. In the US, there are privacy laws in the medical field.

Maybe in the hotel industry most of the privacy concerns are about publishing room numbers, not names.
Yeah I think the room numbers are important from a security perspective. Lots of discussion in the thread about legality. To me, it's not a matter of privacy LAW, simply a matter of personal privacy. I'm sure they're within their legal rights to welcome a guest on a sign. I know when I saw the sign the one time, I immediately scanned it and saw a couple of my colleagues that I was meeting later that evening. I knew they'd be there, didn't know their status, but didn't really care. I expected them to be there and they expected me. I also looked for competitor's names. There are some where I've heard names but wouldn't know them if I ran into them in the lobby. I'm sure there are other reasons people would not want to announce their stay.