FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:06 pm
tragg99

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Are you in a hurry? For 150k miles (110k+40k), you could do AA or CX in F to HKG and then QF or MH or FJ in J HKG-SYD. Bring that down to 110k if you can find CX J. Are there any JL options that would suit you? That'd bring it down to 100k in J.
Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by being in a hurry? Do you mean a long itinerary? I mean, it's not ideal, but I would do it for a good ticket. I'm just not sure 150k for a monster itinerary is a great deal, given that 175k (which I don't have at the moment) is available direct. Also, AA's site only shows LAX to HKG lowest at 140k, so I am uncertain on that availability.

I would definitely consider JL at 100k, but I don't see any availability using BA's site or AwardNexus.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Thanks, that was very helpful! So many abbreviations are making my head spin!

I used the threads to search for Kremmen's suggestions, but I had no success.

I am currently working my way through trying every combination of the cities you listed. The problem, however, is that AA's site DOES say there is awards availability at 80k for nearly all of them. But they are all in fact the phantom Qantas tickets. So I have to look at each day and scroll through all the results, searching for a ticket that is not Qantas. Which I have not yet found.

Originally Posted by guv1976
While you would still be stuck with the overnight hotel in HNL, if you can find a SAAver F award seat on the previous day and place that on hold, it's possible that an AA agent could combine the two held reservation into a single award for 80K. Look for AA/AS nonstops LAX-HNL, or AS nonstops SAN-HNL. (On an international award, AA allows 24 hours to connect, so flying in the previous day would not, in and of itself, preclude use of a single award.)

Be aware, though, of the possible "reverse married segment" issue, where flights may be available as individual awards, but not as a through award. (See the current thread in this forum about the through-award issue.)

Edited to add: If you haven't already done so, I would also search for SAN-SYD award availability. Getting from the Los Angeles area to SAN does not have to be that expensive: there's Amtrak, Greyhound, and maybe even a one-way car rental if you can get a good price on that.
Thank you. I was unaware that AA might combine awards tickets.

Unfortunately, there are no F awards to HNL available. I found only U and J searching LAX and various other cities to HNL.

Trying SAN-SYD gave me the same situation as my LAX search - the chart shows several available flights, but they are all Qantas phantom awards.