FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Venice To Zagreb
View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:33 am
DanielW

I had a cicchetti & wine tour in the evening booked so started to make my way to the meeting point at Campo della Maddalena in Cannaregio.

People out enjoying the evening.

The 17th century campanile (bell tower) of Santi Apostoli in Cannaregio.

It was great to just aimlessly wander through the city at dusk.

Fondamenta is a street parallel to a canal other than the Grand Canal or the lagoon (in which case they are called Riva).

At 5:15pm I met up with our guide, Beatrice, for the evening cicchetti & wine tour. Also on the tour was a lady from Canada travelling through Italy and a Slovenian lady who lived in Treviso.

After a bit of a guided walk through the city we hopped on a traghetto gondola to cross over the Grand Canal to Rialto, the heart of Venice.

Beatrice (left) was from Austria but now lived with her Italian partner in Venice. It was quite amazing to see her effortlessly switch from English to Italian considering they weren't her mother tongue.

At WEnice on Calle de le Beccarie O Panataria and about to chose our first cicchetto of the evening. Cicchetti are small snacks or side dishes that are typically served in traditional "bācari" (cicchetti bars or osterie) in Venice.

I decided to be a little adventurous and chose the Calamari marinated in squid ink.