FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting charged for a stopover
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:04 pm
suley

Originally Posted by Alisonnoonan
They told me that fares within my fare class were available and that there was no fare difference.
And anyway the terms and conditions of my original ticket would stand by law. If they had told me my fare class wasn't available that is a different story and would be my tough luck.
The terms and conditions at the time I bought the ticket said that there was a free stopover allowed in each direction and that a date change would cost £100 GBP.
They wanted £100 date change, £100 stopover fee plus stopover tax (around £20).
Without being disrespectful, people who have the slightest clue about contract law make a mockery of the trade. "Contract Law" was all embedded into the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to simplify the law, The original terms and contract agreed to provide you a seat on A to C though B at specific times which you and EK accepted. EK's terms allowed you to make a change to the flight plan subject to it's terms. You wished to have a stop over for whatever reason EK advised a charge was applicable, the terms were not clear, you have Alleged that the seats were availible but did not request they were put on hold other otherwise. In either case you did not make the change and EK's terms did not guarantee you the change, infact EK's tems state

THE CARRIER SHALL LIMIT THE NUMBER OF PASSENGERS CARRIED ON ANY ONE FLIGHT AT FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE AND SUCH FARES WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE AVAILABLE ON ALL FLIGHTS. THE NUMBER OF SEATS WHICH THE CARRIER SHALL MAKE AVAILABLE ON A GIVEN FLIGHT WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE CARRIERS BEST JUDGMENT
Therefore its possible the allocation could disapear as you spoke, just like reward slots open and close. Good luck trying to take this to court and be ready for the bank to say EK stated your original ticket was X and you changed it to Y, changes were made by the OP and unless you can prove availibility existed you have no chance, even if you could it makes little differance to the fact that an error was made and you opted for another date and time. If you had had to pay for that change or the original requested, you might have had a claim for the excess paid.