FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paris and London
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:19 pm
smgord

Originally Posted by blahmeh14
I'll just add that the Andaz is basically right on top of Liverpool street station, which is a big transfer hub that is connected to the Central line, the Circle line, the H&C Line, and the Metropolitan Line. Now that it is dropping an award category, I think that it is a pretty good value.

I always find the Andaz's location to be really convenient to get to most places in central London without any transfers. For instance, Liverpool street station to Holborn station is a 10-15 minute tube ride, and Holborn station is only about a 5-10 minute walk to covent garden (or a 3 minute ride if you transfer to the piccadilly line). Plus, on the circle and central lines, you can get to St. Pauls, Westminster (Parliament/Big Ben), Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, Holborn, Knightsbridge (A short walk up from South Kensington station), Marble Arch (Hyde Park), and a bunch of other touristy places in under 20/30 minutes and with no transfers, which is nice.

So, don't underestimate the convenience of being on top of one of the main underground transfer hubs. When I first started going to London, I took a black car everywhere because I figured that it would ultimately be faster to just be dropped off directly at my destination every time. This is definitely not so; Driving through central London is terrible, it is a fair bit stressful watching the big saloon you are traveling in almost clip its mirrors off 3 times a minute, and I routinely cut my travel times in half even with walking once I started taking the tube. The point is: you'll be using the tube anyways if you are a smart tourist, so you might as well be right on top of a convenient station.
Definitely planning to use the Tube for everything except when we have luggage. Will keep this in mind. Thank you!