Paris and London

Reply

Old Mar 14, 19, 10:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 28
Paris and London

I am looking to book three nights in Paris and four nights in London, in August. I have sufficient Chase points available to transfer to Hyatt points and do this at nice places. My main criteria are near Metro/Tube, walking distance to lots of sights, and on a street that I will feel safe walking alone on at night with a child. I like nice hotels, but I don't like feeling like I overpaid in cash or points when I don't plan to be in the room much. I have no status. Here's what I'm thinking:

Paris: Hotel du Louvre. It goes for 20K/night. I know I'm passing up an opportunity for the Park Hyatt Vendome, but I don't think it's worth the extra 10K/night. The big question mark is, will this hotel be worth it once the renovation is done? It doesn't appear to have reopened yet. I know the night would be cancellable, but by the time I found out, my other opportunities might be worse. I love the location. For comparison's sake, I was looking at Hotel Le Pradey very nearby. It gets lovely reviews and is about $500/6,000 points cheaper total over the three days. On the one hand: fewer points, same location, great reviews. On the other hand, if the points are worth 1.5 cents each, it's an absolute steal buying that extra $500 in value for 6,000 points. But I have no idea if Hotel du Louvre is really $500 "better".

London: Have been looking at Dukes London. My friend just stayed there and raved. It is basically in the neighborhood I've targeted. I might prefer closer to Covent Garden, but Hyatt has no options that fit that bill. It is 25K/night. If I chose another option, it wouldn't be a Hyatt. I'd likely just pay cash or points for a hotel in Covent Garden. I know it is down a quite alley/cul de sac. That sounds like it could be a little creepy, but on the other hand, I really doubt that it is if it is such an elegant hotel?

Anyway, thoughts on this greatly appreciated!
smgord is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:12 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by smgord View Post
I am looking to book three nights in Paris and four nights in London, in August. I have sufficient Chase points available to transfer to Hyatt points and do this at nice places. My main criteria are near Metro/Tube, walking distance to lots of sights, and on a street that I will feel safe walking alone on at night with a child. I like nice hotels, but I don't like feeling like I overpaid in cash or points when I don't plan to be in the room much. I have no status. Here's what I'm thinking:

Paris: Hotel du Louvre. It goes for 20K/night. I know I'm passing up an opportunity for the Park Hyatt Vendome, but I don't think it's worth the extra 10K/night. The big question mark is, will this hotel be worth it once the renovation is done? It doesn't appear to have reopened yet. I know the night would be cancellable, but by the time I found out, my other opportunities might be worse. I love the location. For comparison's sake, I was looking at Hotel Le Pradey very nearby. It gets lovely reviews and is about $500/6,000 points cheaper total over the three days. On the one hand: fewer points, same location, great reviews. On the other hand, if the points are worth 1.5 cents each, it's an absolute steal buying that extra $500 in value for 6,000 points. But I have no idea if Hotel du Louvre is really $500 "better".

London: Have been looking at Dukes London. My friend just stayed there and raved. It is basically in the neighborhood I've targeted. I might prefer closer to Covent Garden, but Hyatt has no options that fit that bill. It is 25K/night. If I chose another option, it wouldn't be a Hyatt. I'd likely just pay cash or points for a hotel in Covent Garden. I know it is down a quite alley/cul de sac. That sounds like it could be a little creepy, but on the other hand, I really doubt that it is if it is such an elegant hotel?

Anyway, thoughts on this greatly appreciated!
we did a similar trip years ago and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Churchill and Park Hyatt. Enjoyed both tremendously. I would recommend both and happy to answer any questions. Both are close to metro stops.
SeeTheLights is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:25 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,160
Originally Posted by smgord View Post
and on a street that I will feel safe walking alone on at night with a child...

...I know it is down a quite alley/cul de sac. That sounds like it could be a little creepy, but on the other hand, I really doubt that it is if it is such an elegant hotel?

Anyway, thoughts on this greatly appreciated!
Central Paris and London are far safer than their North American big city equivalents. Expensive hotels simply aren't in the parts of town a tourist needs to avoid. Your only minor concern might be pickpockets.

As far as using points, the Hotel du Louvre is going up in price in a couple of days. The Andaz in East London is dropping down, although it sounds like you want to stay elsewhere.
craigthemif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:09 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SFO, ORD, IAD
Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, LH SEN, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Posts: 248
I'll just add that the Andaz is basically right on top of Liverpool street station, which is a big transfer hub that is connected to the Central line, the Circle line, the H&C Line, and the Metropolitan Line. Now that it is dropping an award category, I think that it is a pretty good value.

I always find the Andaz's location to be really convenient to get to most places in central London without any transfers. For instance, Liverpool street station to Holborn station is a 10-15 minute tube ride, and Holborn station is only about a 5-10 minute walk to covent garden (or a 3 minute ride if you transfer to the piccadilly line). Plus, on the circle and central lines, you can get to St. Pauls, Westminster (Parliament/Big Ben), Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, Holborn, Knightsbridge (A short walk up from South Kensington station), Marble Arch (Hyde Park), and a bunch of other touristy places in under 20/30 minutes and with no transfers, which is nice.

So, don't underestimate the convenience of being on top of one of the main underground transfer hubs. When I first started going to London, I took a black car everywhere because I figured that it would ultimately be faster to just be dropped off directly at my destination every time. This is definitely not so; Driving through central London is terrible, it is a fair bit stressful watching the big saloon you are traveling in almost clip its mirrors off 3 times a minute, and I routinely cut my travel times in half even with walking once I started taking the tube. The point is: you'll be using the tube anyways if you are a smart tourist, so you might as well be right on top of a convenient station.

Last edited by blahmeh14; Mar 15, 19 at 2:17 pm
blahmeh14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:16 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Posts: 51
Having taken the kids to London and Paris last year, we found very poor value in Hyatt properties (although Hotel du Louvre was closed). We ended up staying at Holiday Inn Mayfair (next to Green Park Underground station and across the park from Buckingham Palace) on a cash rate, and at a boutique hotel in Paris. Unless you need qualifying nights, there are better and cheaper options in those cities, especially if you need a room that sleeps 4, and want breakfast included in the rate.
sch_flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:19 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by blahmeh14 View Post
I'll just add that the Andaz is basically right on top of Liverpool street station, which is a big transfer hub that is connected to the Central line, the Circle line, the H&C Line, and the Metropolitan Line. Now that it is dropping an award category, I think that it is a pretty good value.

I always find the Andaz's location to be really convenient to get to most places in central London without any transfers. For instance, Liverpool street station to Holborn station is a 10-15 minute tube ride, and Holborn station is only about a 5-10 minute walk to covent garden (or a 3 minute ride if you transfer to the piccadilly line). Plus, on the circle and central lines, you can get to St. Pauls, Westminster (Parliament/Big Ben), Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, Holborn, Knightsbridge (A short walk up from South Kensington station), Marble Arch (Hyde Park), and a bunch of other touristy places in under 20/30 minutes and with no transfers, which is nice.

So, don't underestimate the convenience of being on top of one of the main underground transfer hubs. When I first started going to London, I took a black car everywhere because I figured that it would ultimately be faster to just be dropped off directly at my destination every time. This is definitely not so; Driving through central London is terrible, it is a fair bit stressful watching the big saloon you are traveling in almost clip its mirrors off 3 times a minute, and I routinely cut my travel times in half even with walking once I started taking the tube. The point is: you'll be using the tube anyways if you are a smart tourist, so you might as well be right on top of a convenient station.
Definitely planning to use the Tube for everything except when we have luggage. Will keep this in mind. Thank you!
smgord is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:21 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Central Paris and London are far safer than their North American big city equivalents. Expensive hotels simply aren't in the parts of town a tourist needs to avoid. Your only minor concern might be pickpockets.

As far as using points, the Hotel du Louvre is going up in price in a couple of days. The Andaz in East London is dropping down, although it sounds like you want to stay elsewhere.
I decided to take a chance on the Hotel du Louvre. I did find what looked like an very interesting boutique hotel that I wouldnít have minded paying cash for, but it wasnít as well located. Would have been great for a more leisurely trip, but this one is going to be goógo-go.
smgord is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:28 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by sch_flyer View Post
Having taken the kids to London and Paris last year, we found very poor value in Hyatt properties (although Hotel du Louvre was closed). We ended up staying at Holiday Inn Mayfair (next to Green Park Underground station and across the park from Buckingham Palace) on a cash rate, and at a boutique hotel in Paris. Unless you need qualifying nights, there are better and cheaper options in those cities, especially if you need a room that sleeps 4, and want breakfast included in the rate.
I donít need a large room Ė itís just me and my son. And while I normally appreciate breakfast being included, in Paris Iím a lot more likely to stop into somewhere cute and get coffee and a croissant or something like that. In London, it might be a bigger consideration but not a dealbreaker. The Holiday Inn Mayfair is 50,000 points versus 25,000 for the fancier Hyatt options, and since Iím transferring Chase points, it doesnít make sense to do the Holiday Inn unless I pay cash - which I could do for the purpose of holding onto some points, though, so I will consider that. Thank you!
smgord is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:31 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SFO, ORD, IAD
Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, LH SEN, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Posts: 248
Originally Posted by smgord View Post


Definitely planning to use the Tube for everything except when we have luggage. Will keep this in mind. Thank you!
I'd recommend using Google Maps and plotting transit directions from the hotels you are looking at to the various tourist destinations you are thinking about seeing (make sure that it isn't the middle of the night in London when you are doing this since the tube frequency changes and can mess up the ETAs). You'll usually find that that absolute distance of the hotel to landmarks doesn't necessarily mean that it is closer from the perspective of travel time, since being by a bad station can add lots of time for the transfers and being by a good station can mean that it's a direct shot to wherever you want to go.
blahmeh14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 10:31 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska, AA, Hyatt, SPG
Posts: 6,940
I wouldn't discount the Hyatt Etoile as it is also right on top of a metro station and if you have status can usually get a room with a great view of the Eiffel Tower. I've been upgraded to a suite once, but have stayed in many of the deluxe rooms over the year. The hotel is large and full of tour groups, so they try hard to keep the elites staying at the hotel happy. It is about a 15 minute walk to the L'arc du Triomphe and the C-E. Its another 20 minutes by foot to Concorde and another 10 to the Tuileries/Louvre end, so you can have a nice walk to the 1st if the weather is fine.
lalala is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread