FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:43 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcarovano
After searching for weeks, *finally* I was able to secure two round-trip business class seats on JAL between SAN and BKK using Mileage Plan miles. We'll be ringing in the new year in Bankok and spending a few weeks in southeast Asia. I'm looking forward to enjoying the new Sky Suite seats that will be installed on JAL's 787-8 aircraft later this spring.
I'm in the middle of almost this same trip.

JAL 1, SFO-HND here (in F since its only 10k miles more) but continuing JAL 717, NRT-BKK in J in a couple of days.

The business class seats on the 773 looked roomy when I walked by them. The dimensions of the skysuites on the 788 are much smaller (according to seatguru) but I'm curious to see how they work out in practice.

EDIT I think SeatGuru is out of date as usual. According to the JAL website the Skysuites on the 788 are identical in bed size to the ones in the 773. At 188cm bed length (exactly my height) it might be a bit of a tight fit but the width is probably good enough to lie on my side and bend my knees a bit if I want to lie flat. It should be very comfortable in extreme-recline-but-not-quite-lie-flat mode as well (though my 10:45 am flight out of NRT probably means waking up at 6am at the very latest, so I will probably want to get at least a few hrs of sleep on that flight)

Overall, a great redemption for 75k miles. I'll report back with my opinion of the seats after my flight.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Mar 13, 2019 at 12:27 am