FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:15 am
Ausriver

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Introduction Did a quick one night stay at the former SOTP, now Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park. Check In Despite completing OLCI, check in took forever as the agent tried to sell us a Grand Terrace Suite for an extra $300. While these rooms are huge at 3 x the size of Exec Suites, and were the original Terrace Suites in the 90s, the Mariott app was offering the upgrade for $279 after OLCI and I couldn't justify it for none night. Room Booked an Exec Suite. Since Mariott have taken over they seem to have divided rooms into more categories. Exec Suite says 'City View' which means back of the hotel but there are no suites on that side, so I think it means lower floor.Was upgraded to a 'Grand Exec Suite' because I requested 16th floor or higher so I could see the Harbour.The refurb is mainly cosmetic, new upholstery, carpet, paint and a a selfie circle mirror inn the bathroom made for the 'influencer' market. The TV screen with no branding and the guest's name feels really cheap.That said, the view of Hyde Park, St Mary's Cathedral and the Harbour Heads are always beautiful. Dining Got to the club lounge which has always been exemplary, and one of the best in the World IMHO, at 4:50PM and we grabbed the last table. Lots of guests walking in with nowhere to sit. The club serves King Prawns, Oysters but the Vodka is Absolutel which I refuse to drink. People were waiting for others to leave to get a table. Was suprised to see children in the lounge, typically they weren't allowed entry after 5PM because of RSA.Breakfast in the lounge was disappointing. The barista coffee is good but the only hot options are horrible folded, scrambled eggs or hard boiled. They used to make eggs to order. We decided to go to Feast for the $15 uncharge and the chefs said "We don't make Eggs Benedict." I told them they did and to ask the chefs in the kitchen and they were delivered to our table. I didn't eat anything else at breakfast.Curiously, there were lots of people in gym gear in the club lounge for breakfast and running shorts. The hotel ifnormation letter states work out wear isn't acceptable but the staff didn't say anything.It's worth nothing they discount the buffet 50% for in house guests. Overall Oversall, this first stay since the reno and Mariott took over and had a quick conversation with a staff member who has worked in the hotel and looked after me on previous stays.We both agreed Mariott is crap and they were fielding so many complaints from guests about upgrades and the program itself.The SGSHP is still a good hotel for the suites when you don't want to spend $1,000 at the PH.
Why would you compare this hotel to PH Sydney?