FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - An alliance for some airlines
View Single Post
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:04 am
UKtravelbear
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Welcome to flyer talk Emily

I'll make some comments on the points I feel able to contribute to.

The world of airline alliances is very complicated. Airlines don't have to join them and it costs them a lot of money to be part of an alliance and it also means they have certain obligations to meet as part of being in one and it may not fit in to their business models to join.

Some airlines are even pulling out of their alliances for various reasons.

Originally Posted by EmilyH2004
Recently, I've seen quite a lot of twists and turns for the aviation industry. There are times when an airline goes bust (such was the case with Germania in January), but also, there are airlines making profits. That's why I'd like to see some non-allianced airlines join an alliance as well:
  1. Ryanair (Oneworld) - to fill up some of the void left up by Aer Lingus Ryanair won't join an alliance. Their business model is point to point rather than connections to other flights. EI will likely join OW as a 'connect' member at some point in the relatively near future.
  2. EasyJet (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left up by British Midland International Same as Ryanair
  3. IndiGo (SkyTeam) - to make SkyTeam the second alliance to have an Indian member after the Star Alliance
  4. Virgin Atlantic (SkyTeam) - to expand the alliance's network to Gatwick Airport VS has a very strong relationship with DL and soon AF and KL as part of their Joint Venture but there are no signs of them wanting to join ST.
  5. Vueling (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left up by Spanair Vuelign is part of IAG and they seem happy for Vuelling not to be in OW and won't let an IAG owned airline join any other alliance
  6. TUI (Oneworld) - to make Oneworld and Star Alliance both have German members
  7. Air Transat (Oneworld) - to fill up part of the void left up by Canadian Airlines
  8. Volaris (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left by Mexicana
  9. Jetstar Airways (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left by Ansett Australia
  10. Frontier Airlines (SkyTeam) - to give SkyTeam a hub presence in Denver, CO

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 10, 2019 at 10:32 am