An alliance for some airlines

Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

An alliance for some airlines

Recently, I've seen quite a lot of twists and turns for the aviation industry. There are times when an airline goes bust (such was the case with Germania in January), but also, there are airlines making profits. That's why I'd like to see some non-allianced airlines join an alliance as well:
  1. Ryanair (Oneworld) - to fill up some of the void left up by Aer Lingus
  2. EasyJet (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left up by British Midland International
  3. IndiGo (SkyTeam) - to make SkyTeam the second alliance to have an Indian member after the Star Alliance
  4. Virgin Atlantic (SkyTeam) - to expand the alliance's network to Gatwick Airport
  5. Vueling (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left up by Spanair
  6. TUI (Oneworld) - to make Oneworld and Star Alliance both have German members
  7. Air Transat (Oneworld) - to fill up part of the void left up by Canadian Airlines
  8. Volaris (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left by Mexicana
  9. Jetstar Airways (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left by Ansett Australia
  10. Frontier Airlines (SkyTeam) - to give SkyTeam a hub presence in Denver, CO

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 10, 2019 at 10:32 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Welcome to flyer talk Emily

I'll make some comments on the points I feel able to contribute to.

The world of airline alliances is very complicated. Airlines don't have to join them and it costs them a lot of money to be part of an alliance and it also means they have certain obligations to meet as part of being in one and it may not fit in to their business models to join.

Some airlines are even pulling out of their alliances for various reasons.

Originally Posted by EmilyH2004
Recently, I've seen quite a lot of twists and turns for the aviation industry. There are times when an airline goes bust (such was the case with Germania in January), but also, there are airlines making profits. That's why I'd like to see some non-allianced airlines join an alliance as well:
  1. Ryanair (Oneworld) - to fill up some of the void left up by Aer Lingus Ryanair won't join an alliance. Their business model is point to point rather than connections to other flights. EI will likely join OW as a 'connect' member at some point in the relatively near future.
  2. EasyJet (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left up by British Midland International Same as Ryanair
  3. IndiGo (SkyTeam) - to make SkyTeam the second alliance to have an Indian member after the Star Alliance
  4. Virgin Atlantic (SkyTeam) - to expand the alliance's network to Gatwick Airport VS has a very strong relationship with DL and soon AF and KL as part of their Joint Venture but there are no signs of them wanting to join ST.
  5. Vueling (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left up by Spanair Vuelign is part of IAG and they seem happy for Vuelling not to be in OW and won't let an IAG owned airline join any other alliance
  6. TUI (Oneworld) - to make Oneworld and Star Alliance both have German members
  7. Air Transat (Oneworld) - to fill up part of the void left up by Canadian Airlines
  8. Volaris (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left by Mexicana
  9. Jetstar Airways (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left by Ansett Australia
  10. Frontier Airlines (SkyTeam) - to give SkyTeam a hub presence in Denver, CO

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 10, 2019 at 10:32 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:56 am

1. Jetstar Airways (Star Alliance) - to fill up part of the void left by Ansett Australia
Jetstar is owned by Qantas. Qantas doesn't seem to want Jetstar in Oneworld and won't allow the airline to join any other alliance. Also, it may cost too much for an LCC to offer complimentary lounge access to elite passengers.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: QF WP
Air transat into oneworld isnt a bad idea but i think there are rumours about westjet bringing in the Canadians there
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
  1. Ryanair (Oneworld) - to fill up some of the void left up by Aer Lingus
Aer Lingus hasn't left a "void" - it is still very much present and has a larger footprint than it ever had before. Besides, from a oneworld perspective, BA is back at DUB and therefore the "void" has been filled.

And while Ryanair will NEVER join an alliance, there is no way they would be able to join oneworld - the same one that Aer Lingus is associated with and will probably re-join - because of the monopoly that the alliance would hold at DUB, for example.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
Air transat into oneworld isnt a bad idea but i think there are rumours about westjet bringing in the Canadians there
This would seem to rule out Westjet joining Oneworld: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WestJe...elta_Air_Lines
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Some person
This would seem to rule out Westjet joining Oneworld: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WestJe...elta_Air_Lines
i treat it all as all bets are off until its confirmed either way 😉
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Idea for a new mainly-European airline alliance: Les Compagnies

With there being 3 major airline alliances (Star Alliance, Oneworld, and SkyTeam), I guess that my idea for a new mainly-European airline alliance (Les Compagnies, which is French for 'the companies') could come true at some point. Here are the possible future founding members for an alliance named Les Compagnies:
  1. La Compagnie (Southwestern Europe)
  2. Virgin Atlantic (Great Britain)
  3. Aer Lingus (Ireland)
  4. TUI fly Deutschland (Western Europe)
  5. Norwegian Air Shuttle (Northwestern Europe)
  6. S7 Airlines (Northeastern Europe & Northern Asia)
  7. Bulgaria Air (Southeastern Europe)
  8. Air Italy (Southern Europe)
  9. EgyptAir (Northern Africa)
  10. Spirit Airlines (United States & Canada)
  11. Emirates (Middle East)
See? If there's really a mainly-European airline alliance named Les Compagnies, then the above-listed airlines can be the founding members.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 10, 2019 at 10:31 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Aer Lingus hasn't left a "void" - it is still very much present and has a larger footprint than it ever had before. Besides, from a oneworld perspective, BA is back at DUB and therefore the "void" has been filled.

And while Ryanair will NEVER join an alliance, there is no way they would be able to join oneworld - the same one that Aer Lingus is associated with and will probably re-join - because of the monopoly that the alliance would hold at DUB, for example.
Whoops... I apologize for mistaking this for a "void" at first.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 10, 2019 at 10:31 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:19 pm

• Virgin Atlantic (Great Britain)
Virgin Atlantic is largely owned by Skyteam airlines (Delta, Air France, KLM), so it's unlikely that Virgin Atlantic would join any alliance other than Skyteam.
  • Aer Lingus (Ireland)
Aer Lingus is owned by IAG which also owns British Airways and Iberia, both in Oneworld. It's unlikely that IAG wants Aer Lingus in a competing alliance. There has been talk about Aer Lingus rejoining Oneworld, either as a full member or as a connecting member, but so far nothing has happened.
  • TUI fly Deutschland (Western Europe)
Doesn't TUI mainly operate charter flights with passengers who have booked both flights and hotels from the in-house travel agency? I don't see any benefits for a charter airline to form an alliance with other airlines; the business model is so different. Furthermore, I don't understand why you only wish to include one of the group's airlines but not the other ones.
  • Norwegian Air Shuttle (Northwestern Europe)
Their business model is different from that of airlines within alliances. They set up hubs all over Europe and compete with everyone (like Ryanair or Easyjet). I doubt that any European airline would be fit to be in an alliance with Norwegian; the business model would first have to be changed significantly.
  • S7 Airlines (Northeastern Europe & Northern Asia)
They are already in Oneworld. Why should they switch to a new and untested alliance? It's the only Oneworld airline serving Russia in a meaningful way, so they probably get lots of trafic from Oneworld people who need to visit Russia for one reason or another.
  • Bulgaria Air (Southeastern Europe)
Why join a new and untested alliance instead of one of the existing ones?
  • Air Italy (Southern Europe)
Air Italy is largely owned by Qatar Airways, and Qatar Airways is in Oneworld, so it's unlikely that Air Italy would be allowed to join a competing alliance. They might or might not join Oneworld at some point. Qatar Airways has talked about leaving Oneworld, but this talk might just be rubbish.
  • EgyptAir (Northern Africa)
They air currently in Star Alliance. Why would they leave to join something new and untested?
  • Emirates (Middle East)
They have so far refused to join any alliance at all, preferring to have more independence. Why would they change their mind?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You probably don't remember what happened to Qualiflyer of Swissair and partners, but their demise sort of proved there wasn't room for an alliance in Europe. And back then there were a lot more airlines in business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.