FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 8-Night Swiss Itinerary - Help Needed - Oct. 2019 via JFK>GVA>ZRH>JFK
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:41 pm
Tony300S

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Update #1
  1. First, due to a few of the longer train rides proposed, (per route update below) I'm now leaning towards only 3 overnight/base locations to make hotel switches less stressful as well as adding the extra night saved in Geneva to our time in Lucerne (or nearby) to explore in more depth.
  2. Next, proposing the Montreux stay between Zermatt and Lucerne to break up the mountain adventures and also because it would be the starting point of the planned full GP route to Lucern.
  3. Lastly, cutting Chamonix from this trip due to location, time of year/closures and forum recommendations.
:-: Base/Train Itinerary:
  • Base/Day 1: Depart Geneva (GVA) Airport approx. 9am for Zermatt - Stay 3-Nights - Relax & Unwind, explore the village with day trips to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and Mt. Gornergrat + possible Helicopter Tour.
  • Base 2: Depart Zermatt for Montreux - Stay 2-Nights - Explore with day trips to the Chateau de Chillon, Castle of Gruyeres, La Maison du Gruyere, Maison Cailler Chocolaterie + possible Geneva sights.
  • Base 3: Depart Montreux via MOB Full Golden Pass Line route for Lucerne - Stay 3-Nights - Explore Mt. Pilatus via round-trip route (Alpnachstad>Pilatus>Kriens) , Mt. Rigi via round trip (Vitznau>Rigi Kulm>Arth Goldau), possible mountain trail hikes, Chapel Bridge, Swiss Museum of Transport, Swiss Knife Valley, Fort Vitznau.
  • Last Day: Depart Lucerne for Zurich (ZRH) Airport approx. 9am for our 1pm flight back home.
HELP w/ Train Passes: So just surfing the SBB train timetables and costs, I don't see how our proposed trips could ever add up to near the cost of the STP 8-Day. With the super-saver option on some of these routes I'm not even adding up to half the STP.
  1. Am I missing something here?
  2. Could the 50% off the mountain passes/trams be that valuable?
  3. I do understand that not needing a ticket for each trip is convenient with the STP, but at twice the cost?
  4. Can anyone advise based on our proposed itinerary would would work best?