FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Confusion Basic Economy Operating v Marketing Carrier
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:54 am
Danusa86

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Confusion Basic Economy Operating v Marketing Carrier

Hi,

I know this question has been asked 1 trillion of times, but I really can't find an answer in the multiple threads I've checked.

I'm trying to get my head around the now famed OW table that makes a distinction between operating and marketing carrier when flying basic economy.

I'm BA Silver (Sapphire), soon to become Gold. I'm looking at a flight to the USA from Milan which would be as follows:

MXP-HEL
HEL-LAX

BOS-LHR
LHR-MXP

I would buy the entire itinerary on American Airlines website, the outbound operated by Finnair and inbound by British Airways. Flights are all operated under AA flight number, except the 1st one which is AY (MXP-HEL)

My understanding is that I would get a free bag on flights 2,3,4 as AA marketed. Is that correct? But what about on the 1st? I mean, it's AY marketed so technically no free bag, but it immediatly connects to an AA marketed one. Does this make any difference? it makes little sense to pay a bag for MXP to HEL, to then get it free from HEL, doesn't it?

Also, by my understanding I would get free seat selection on all 4 flights, correct?

Would be great if anybody can clarify.

Thank you in advance!