Search

Confusion Basic Economy Operating v Marketing Carrier

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Confusion Basic Economy Operating v Marketing Carrier

Hi,

I know this question has been asked 1 trillion of times, but I really can't find an answer in the multiple threads I've checked.

I'm trying to get my head around the now famed OW table that makes a distinction between operating and marketing carrier when flying basic economy.

I'm BA Silver (Sapphire), soon to become Gold. I'm looking at a flight to the USA from Milan which would be as follows:

MXP-HEL
HEL-LAX

BOS-LHR
LHR-MXP

I would buy the entire itinerary on American Airlines website, the outbound operated by Finnair and inbound by British Airways. Flights are all operated under AA flight number, except the 1st one which is AY (MXP-HEL)

My understanding is that I would get a free bag on flights 2,3,4 as AA marketed. Is that correct? But what about on the 1st? I mean, it's AY marketed so technically no free bag, but it immediatly connects to an AA marketed one. Does this make any difference? it makes little sense to pay a bag for MXP to HEL, to then get it free from HEL, doesn't it?

Also, by my understanding I would get free seat selection on all 4 flights, correct?

Would be great if anybody can clarify.

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Danusa86
I know this question has been asked 1 trillion of times, but I really can't find an answer in the multiple threads I've checked.

I'm trying to get my head around the now famed OW table that makes a distinction between operating and marketing carrier when flying basic economy.

I'm BA Silver (Sapphire), soon to become Gold. I'm looking at a flight to the USA from Milan which would be as follows:
MXP-HEL HEL-LAX
BOS-LHR LHR-MXP

I would buy the entire itinerary on American Airlines website, the outbound operated by Finnair and inbound by British Airways. Flights are all operated under AA flight number, except the 1st one which is AY (MXP-HEL)

My understanding is that I would get a free bag on flights 2,3,4 as AA marketed. Is that correct? But what about on the 1st? I mean, it's AY marketed so technically no free bag, but it immediately connects to an AA marketed one. Does this make any difference? it makes little sense to pay a bag for MXP to HEL, to then get it free from HEL, doesn't it?

Also, by my understanding I would get free seat selection on all 4 flights, correct?
  • Marketed = flight number (AAxxx, AYxxx, BAxxx)
  • Operated = the OW airline who operates the aircraft [At times can be a subcontractor/what ever such as AA Eagle, but not that important]
  • Ticket issuer "buy the entire itinerary" can effect earning on some ffp's(AA). Ticket number 001 = AA, 125 = BA, 081 = QF, etc My limited understanding does not effect BAEC.
  • In oneworld frequent flyer earning is based on the marketing carrier, subject to an eligible operating carrier.

As an AA marketed flyer you are better to ask here --->AA Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (and on AY, BA, IB) (Master thread)

The question has been asked in the BA forum

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 1, 2019 at 4:03 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by Danusa86

My understanding is that I would get a free bag on flights 2,3,4 as AA marketed. Is that correct? But what about on the 1st? I mean, it's AY marketed so technically no free bag, but it immediatly connects to an AA marketed one. Does this make any difference?

https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/inform...ecked-baggage:
Finnair Plus Platinum Lumo, Platinum and Gold members and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members can take one additional bag on oneworld marketed flights operated by Finnair.

https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/flight...ect-your-seat:
You can select a seat free of charge in the following cases:
  • You’re travelling with a Business Class ticket.
  • You’re travelling with a PRO/fully flexible ticket.
  • You’re travelling with a Finnair Plus award ticket (standard seats only).
  • You’re a Finnair Plus Platinum member.
  • You’re a Finnair Plus Gold member (excluding Economy Comfort seats)
  • You’re a oneworld Emerald member (reservations through Finnair Customer service).
  • You’re a oneworld Sapphire member (excluding Economy Comfort seats. Reservations through Finnair Customer service).

So the answer to your both questions regarding the AY operated flight is yes
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A very similar thread in BA forum--->HELP PLEASE : Basic economy on AA & BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.