FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Safety
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:46 am
txhyattlvr

Southwest Safety

So, I'm a very frequent flyer (2-3x per month) and have tons of respect for the aviation safety system in the USA. I realize how safe the system is, why it so safe, and much more. I don't consider myself a nervous-nelly, but I also know that despite this bad things can indeed still happen (like the 767 that just plunged into the ground near Houston).

Anyway, all the negative news at Southwest has given me some pause about them.... and I wonder if I am alone on this one?

Having a bunch of super pissed off mechanics can't be good for safety. We've also had (what seems like) more incidents with things like runway incursions, wingtips hitting ground, etc. and these incidents seem to happen with (slightly) more frequency than at the other carriers. I also can't help to notice a good number of the 700 series aircraft (in particular) are looking VERY long in the tooth... and yes I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of actual safety.

Please don't respond with the "your safer on the plane than in your car" stuff as I get that, what I'm wondering is Southwest-specific and in comparison with the other major carriers... Do you have concerns? Do we have reason to be concerned? Or is this all just a blip and you think Southwest is just as safe any other major carrier at this point?

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Feb 28, 2019 at 12:03 pm