FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:19 am
andyyac1

Ok here goes...

I’ve been to the Maldives countless times, and obviously love it.

I love getting rooms north of $2000 a night for pennies on the dollar and with very valuable elite benefits. And the chance to be in what I consider pure paradise, in superb properties with fabulous amenities, service and food.

Do I try and spend as little as possible however... yes of course. Do I enjoy the overpriced add ons... No way.

The seaplane is $275 each way to the Conrad, a yacht is now $370 to the WA. Will I enjoy paying that... no way, and it is silly obviously. But it ain’t completely out of line with many other places. That’s the Maldives. I can’t change the pricey aspect, and you can’t. I wish I could.

Also being in aviation myself...I know very well that a twin jetprop powered, 2 pilot operated aircraft on floats with salt being blasted into every nook is not cheap to operate. But it’s doubly safe, which I enjoy. That’s on the TMA so called “rip off” aspect not the yacht cost obviously. Which I’m sure many will point out that makes it even more ridiculous... and you’d be right!!

Heres the rub.... the hotels set the award inventory. They have control. Amazing isn’t it? It’s their business. They own it. They decide point structure and availability. You may think you can sue them or “people power” them into what you think is fair, but I doubt that will work. It just won’t.

If a a certain group (points redeemers) has a demanding, even threatening (shouting about emails being legal contracts, saying they won’t pay etc) there is a good chance the hotel (privately owned... not owned by Hilton as claimed/implied upthread) will shut down points availability in the future.

If in their position (I’m glad I’m not... in an increasingly competitive market, geographical issues and huge costs involved) I would do so.

There is is an element who are entitled and just never happy. Perhaps I should not have assumed so much about Maldives freak, who flamed me royally, and was his perogative to do so after my perhaps too aggressive post. Despite his intense reply to me, I apologize to him.

However is there anything above that gets through to some of you?

Also... the price is the price. Wow... don’t like it, don’t buy it. Perhaps if the (overpriced) transfer cost leaves you outraged, the price of drinks there might give you a stress induced migraine. Will you contest $15 for a beer as ridiculous... after all it’s 90cents in your convenience store? It is ridiculous, but you, I and everyone else can chose to stay at home, drink cheap beer, and watch a paradise show on TV. No?

It it is the nature of the beast... the Maldives with huge taxes on alcohol, huge import costs of everything, labor costs of expats, massive costs of building in the middle of an ocean, it’s expensive to run. Do I feel sorry for them, and think they should make millions of dollars a minute however? No way.

Do I think they will shut down redemptions if the wrong type of customer arrives outraged about everything, insisting, threatening and being aggressive? Yes and I wouldn’t blame them.

Then it’s too late, any amount of disputing charges etc won’t allow you to stay there. Not the need of world either I suppose!!