FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Q Suite Master Thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:34 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by tomj888
Thru flyertalk family and bloggers(lucky) I read Qatar has Q-suites out of LAX-DOH
flight 740 outbound
flight 739 return.
Flyertalk and bloggers can be good sources of information, but they are not always 100% accurate, and they are often not official sources of information.

‘Qatar has great fare sale for one world miles and spend to BKK.
so I booked LAX-DOH-BKK in late October. Seven day trip. I booked those fares, confirmed with AA about R class dollars and miles.
You can simply check the per-airline earnings information at the AA partner airline earnings tables. You don't have to call (and sometimes the agent who answers may give misleading or incorrect information).

Made the booking but no matter what I did on Qatar website I could not select seats. So I finally had to pay for the booking and then and only then could I see and select seats.
You can check ExpertFlyer for currently loaded seat maps. EF shows what the airline has loaded, so it's as accurate as any source can be, but still, airlines can and do change configuration, and QR is notorious for changing configurations, especially between Qsuite and non-Qsuite, frequently right up until the plane takes off.

To my surprise, the 77L is the old 2-2-2 seats.
No way do I want to fly those frames. Called Qatar, and they basically said too bad.
It's silly to book a non-refundable airfare on the basis of the specific configuration you want to fly, and much more so when QR is involved. If you've read this thread, dedicated to Qsuite, you would be well aware that QR changes configuration frequently. Specific seat maps are never guaranteed.

I said I should of been able to look at seat maps prior to booking and had I seen that no way I book that flight. Qatar is holding fast that it’s too bad and they want to charge me $1075 to cancel the booking. I’m well within the 24 purchase window that all American airline flights allow me to cancel with no penalties. Can anyone suggest what I can do please?
i do believe I can call my credit card company to challenge??
If you made the purchase in the U.S. using the US web site, you can cancel within 24 hours of purchase. But how silly would you feel if you do that now, in mid-February, and then it turns out the October flight does have Qsuite after all?

The question for you to consider, @tomj888, is: Are you buying this trip to visit BKK, to earn AA EQD/EQM/RDM, or to try the Qsuite? If the first two are important, stick with it because it could be Qsuite for your flight, and even the 2-2-2 is not bad, BKK is fun to visit, and you earn a lot of EQD/EQM/RDM for very little money. If it's all about the Qsuite, then book a refundable ticket (such as using AA miles for an award) and cancel if it isn't Qsuite by the day before.