FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 787-1 vs.. Disparity between seat map and plane type at check-in?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:00 am
OhDoctor

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by wxguy
Swaps happen, especially when new types (787-10 is the proper designation) are being introduced. Currently, UA has only four 787-10s flying. As new ones come on line, they are inserted as subs for other types to get them air time (usually domestic) before being introduced into normal rotation. If there is any problem with one of the birds -- and it can be anything from mechanical to ATC to crew, swaps can and will happen.

So we have to set our expectations appropriately!
That's all well and good, and I understand swaps happen in general. I was more interested in two specific peculiarities, namely:
1) Why does FlightAware list two separate planes (B78X and 781) which are both, supposedly, the 787-10? and
2) Why does the United web site tell me the plane will be the 787-800, even though the seat map is still the 787-10?
and a bonus third question:
3) Should I believe the UA agent who tells me to ignore the equipment type listed on the check-in, and that the plane will indeed be the 787-10?