FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:12 pm
DaveH

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm less concerned about the delayed posting personally (though it is an annoyance), largely because I have enough MR points to not have it effect most bookings. But without the extra 4x kicker, I'm less persuaded of the value proposition of PWP vs other uses of MR points.

Note that if you have an Amex platinum card, you get 5x points to charge (any) ticket. Keep in mind that if points are worth 1.5c , then effectively you're only paying 92.5% of face value...plus you don't have to settle for Amex's clunky shopping portal, allowing for portal / other travel agency bonuses.

On these assumptions, the effective opportunity cost of using PWP is not 1/.65 cpp , but .925 / .65 = 1.423 cpp -- before taking portal / OTA bonuses into account. At that level, I'm leaning towards saving points for other uses, like transfers to other programs.