FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wedding + Honeymoon: South Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong and Dubai
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:48 am
LDNConsultant

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
EWR Terminal B Check In and Senator Lounge
February in New York – it’s a wonderful place to spend your time if you love the snow and cold weather. I was mentally preparing for my long trip from Astoria Queens to Newark (I still have no clue why United calls Newark – New York), but on Sunday I became aware of the possible weather issue on my original itinerary.

This was actually a blessing in disguise at the end of it – after a quick look EWR – FRA – ICN became available with EWR – FRA available in First Class. The cost for the change and the upgrade would be 40,000 United Miles (Thank you again Chase Rewards Points) as well as $35.00 fee (this was probably the best $35 I spent). So on Sunday I frantically packed my bags and got ready for my Monday.

After a quick taxi ride from my home in Astoria to my office in Midtown, and about 6 hours of constant work – I got ready to go to EWR. The ride from Midtown to EWR was pleasant – no major issue and traffic.

Check-In:
The check-in was a breeze (apologies no pictures) – the First Class Line empty and the Lufthansa Check In Staff greeted me with open arms (figuratively) and as part of the First Class service, they offered to “Assistance” to the Lufthansa Lounge. I’m an extremely independent individual (after living by my self for more than 14 years) but the Lufthansa Check In Staff was insistence and stated “You won’t regret it” – and I have to say it was extremely helpful. I was greeted by a wonderful Lufthansa Staff Member who guided me through security line – even though I had TSA PreCheck the line was strangely long in Terminal B at EWR. She guided me to the front of the line where as usual where there was “Expedited Security” but with all the hassle of normal security (had to take out any liquid and electronics).

Lounge:
After the minor hick up at the at the security (I forgot my belt) I entered the Terminal B Senator Lounge. I know I wasn’t expecting much but it was a nice place to get work done before my flight. As you enter the lounge there are two separate eating areas and there is a small dedicated seating arrangement for First Class Passengers and HON Circle Status. It was extremely quiet until about 4pm when the lounge filled up dramatically with flights to Frankfurt, Zurich and others.

The food spread was actually quite decent for US lounge, however extremely underwhelming for a “First Class Lounge”

February Menu - It actually didn't look that bad

As a South Korea - it was always nice to see kimchi in the lounge (if only I had a ramen noodle and it would have been fantastic)

Boiled Potato with butter/parsley and Roasted Winter Squash Medley - I actually had a couple potatoes and it was extremely dry (it seems like they were left there for a while)

Beef Guinness Stew and Baked Vegetable Ziti

Wild Mushroom Bisque and Clam Chowder (I'm actually a sucker for these but had to keep an empty stomach for the flight :P)

Not an amazing liquor selection but saw couple college students just chugging these down like there was no tomorrow... Youth.... its beautiful

Obligatory shot

The only thing I did notice was the small bathroom - the lounge is big enough to hold circa 50-60 individuals but for men's there was only 1 urinal. Outside of several occasions at clubs this was one of the few times where I had to wait more than 5 minutes just to conduct my business.

But with all things, it wasn't bad place to just sit comfortably and work for 3 hours. The gate was just a short 2-3 minutes walk from the lounge and it was time for me to really enjoy my first Lufthansa First Class