FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - discrimination against solo travellers
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:28 am
jrpallante

I realize this post was probably tongue-in-cheek, but I sense some selfishness, which might explain why some people consistently find themselves traveling alone.

To begin, there is often little relationship between cost and price, but this is not the venue for a discussion of basic economics. Most hotel amenities are not offered on an a-la-carte basis. They offer the whole package to all guests, who then choose which amenities they want to enjoy. Some people use the pool, some don't. Some use the fitness center, some don't. Same goes for the business center, breakfast buffet, evening reception, parking lot, etc. If you feel you have suffered an injustice by only getting one breakfast when your neighbor got two, then perhaps you will find solace in using more than your share of the other amenities?

As for volunteering to change seats with somebody on a plane, I am heartened to observe that most people find it personally rewarding to perform acts of kindness for their fellow human beings, particularly when there is no cost or burden to the good-deed-doer (to steal a phrase from Oz!). Do you also object to holding a door open for somebody pushing a stroller, or carrying a heavy package?

Last edited by jrpallante; Feb 12, 2019 at 6:41 am Reason: Grammar