Community
Wiki Posts
Search

discrimination against solo travellers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

discrimination against solo travellers

Not talking about cruises and single supplements, nor restaurants with different seating policies, but just hotels.

You pay the same amount as another person, who has 2 or more. And yet you get less benefits.

Breakfast benefit? Only for one person. Even though supposedly it is "free breakfast" and not a discount. What if it is a tiny amount and you want two portions? Or if it is a food and beverage credit?
MSPeconomist and arcticflier like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I'm convinced that as a solo flyer, I must be wearing a sign that says "Ask me to switch seats with you" so that you and your spouse/partner/friend can sit together.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Not talking about cruises and single supplements, nor restaurants with different seating policies, but just hotels.

You pay the same amount as another person, who has 2 or more. And yet you get less benefits.

Breakfast benefit? Only for one person. Even though supposedly it is "free breakfast" and not a discount. What if it is a tiny amount and you want two portions? Or if it is a food and beverage credit?
I tend to find that whilst the RO rate is the same whether occupied by 1 or 2, the BB rate does vary depending on whether it’s 1 or 2 for breakfast.
lhrsfo and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
It's more than offset by the advantage of having an entire hotel room to yourself. And all the pillows.

Oh, and the bathroom. You can leave the door open.

And set the temperature to a nice cool setting and no one steals the blanket.

And don't forget about control of the remote.
Eastbay1K, Spiff, CPRich and 36 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:07 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Japanese hotel pricing might be more to the OP’s liking
JapanFlyerT, 84fiero, muji and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
EDIT: never mind.

(but it's "fewer")
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Accommodation prices depends on number of people occupied the room in number of counties. In moust counties in EU and as well in NZ and AU even at AirBNB you are charged person, not per room.

I am talking about ordinary/budget hotels. I never stay at 5*/luxury places
eigenvector and altabello like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Why should you get a different price for occupying the same room?

Yes, two people sharing a room and a bed require an extra towel and maybe use more bath water. What do you think that totals up to, $5?

Consider that if singles had a substantially lower price, you might actually find yourself turned away when the hotel expects to be full because they would rather extract more revenue by having two people occupy the same room.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
If a hotel room for a single person were half the size of a hotel room for two people, then charging by the person would make sense.

But you are paying for a room of the same size, whether you stay in it by yourself or you share it with three other people. The marginal cost of towels, hot water, and breakfast is de minimis.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I usually eat 2 breakfast plates, and try to sleep on both sides of the bed..and many times both beds..
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos

It's not really a "free" breakfast. It is baked into the price of the room or the extra mysterious fees. I suppose if a group of 4 is one room and are not paying a per person rate, they get more.

For me, it's the presumption that those with companions outrank those flying solo when it comes to seat swaps. Not in this day and age of seat selection fees and extra revenue seats.

Besides, I don't care about your companions or your family. Take it up with the airline.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
I usually eat 2 breakfast plates, and try to sleep on both sides of the bed..and many times both beds..
This - aren't the breakfasts always buffets?
muji likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by akl_traveller
This - aren't the breakfasts always buffets?
The marginal cost of a typical hotel free breakfast is about 50 cents.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: US Gold
In the UK for a lot of travel there's a "single supplement" - they openly actually charge single individuals more for the same trip/hotel room/whatever. I guess from they're point of view they're still making less money than they would from a couple, but it's annoying nonetheless.

wg
polinka and nequine like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Also in the UK, and especially in hotels that began life as large private homes, there are often single rooms that are barely big enough for a single bed, a tiny desk and a TV mounted high on the wall. Those rooms go for a lot less than a room that two people could occupy and can be real bargains for a low-maintenance solo traveler who's more concerned about location and price than about being able to swing a cat. You won't find them in a late-20th-century Hilton or Marriott, though.
polkacat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.