FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Timer to London/Paris
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:39 pm
JonathanK

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Eurostar is owned and headquartered in Europe so I have no doubt they are pressing the EU and French and Belgian Governments in particular (as SNCF owns 55% and Belgian state railways 5% of Eurostar) to ensure it continue to operate normally whether there is a deal or no deal.

If necessary the French immigration officials will revert to the continent and the UK ones back to St Pancras and immigration will take place on arrival rather than departure (as per airline transport)

Over a quarter of all UK-EU trade in goods goes via the tunnel so there is an imperative to sort this - just like there is with ferry traffic.

All of this brexit nonsense that is been spouted is just nonsense and will have little, if any impact on the OP who is now probably worrying unduly rather than planning their holiday.
Thank you....I'll be honest I have started to worry. I apologize everyone for not posting in a few days. Been busy at work. Anyways, I've started doing research on. Brexit to see how it shall affect us. I'm really hoping it'll be "business as usual." But suddenly I don't see things that way. I am now extra glad we're headed to Paris for our flight home extra early.

Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
That is my view, be aware but don't necessarily be alarmed at this time. Anyway here are just a few suggestions hopefully to help the OP.
9 hour time difference between LA and Paris, jet lag is unavoidable. Just try to stay up as long as you can the first day.
2 hours a day extra daylight compared to LA, it should be light till around 10pm in Paris and later in London. It allows for a lot of evening sightseeing.
June is a great time to visit, second only to September in my opinion, but Northern Europe is wet, be ready for rain. The difference is that the rain is usually light compared to rain in the US so people just go about their business more or less as usual. Have a good lightweight rain jacket and a small umbrella, you can go anywhere and do anything.
I highly recommend the Eyewitness Travel Top Ten guide books. They are light, easy to carry in your pocket, cheap and filled with useful information.
I am double-checking on your advice. So when you say stay up as long as possible on the first day, you. mean after we slept on the flight correct? You don't mean we stay awake through the entire 11 hour flight. Just wanting to confirm! Also I mentioned taking the 5:40am train out of London to Paris. I looked at sunrise schedules, do you know if daylight will be out by 5am? My lady friend is concerned we'll be leaving our hotel in the pitch black/dark. I told her the calendars seem to say sunrise is at 3:30am.