FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:08 pm
arttravel

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by MacLeanBarrier
The same place or whichever one designated if 2019 H.R. 911 becomes law. If there's not enough room for one of my barrier systems, then you can put a standard drink cart in another galley in the mid-section or back of the aircraft.

I routinely see passengers wearing the small white disposable respirators--especially when I fly to Asia.
Those disposable masks are not sufficient to protect the terrorist from his own airborne fentanyl. Those are not recommended for any sort of high risk/concentration. The ones that would protect the terrorist against particulate or gas hazard is the SCBA: self-contained breathing apparatus; certified to NFPA 1981: Standard on Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) for Emergency Services. -- That is if the terrorist cares to abide by CDC guidelines for success.

I don't understand why you are asking this question. The cockpit is bullet-proof, so if the door is closed the pilots are safe. Again, you cannot hijack a jet with a firearm post-9/11.
I asked this because of the mention of the Kevlar for the fabric barrier -- I am asking because of the differences between wire barriers mentioned by the politicians vs what you have proposed.

The drawings are not perfect and drawn for the patent examiners. My barrier cart will seal the forward galley. Regardless, my system will have (Naloxone) Narcan doses ready on the unit in the case that any opioids leak passed it. Remember, the cockpit door will only need to remain open for 2 seconds with my barrier. Right now, the door remains open 4 times too long because the pilot (1) unlocks it, (2) steps through, (3) steps aside for the flight attendant to switch with him/her, (4) then the flight attendant steps through.
Isn't the flight attendant switching with pilot to prevent a repeat of the Germanwings suicidal pilot, -- ie protecting the passengers from the pilot versus other passengers. Won't the FAs still have to go in?

I have a question on practicality -- if there is no prototype, how will the airlines even consider it rather than the wire barriers. The FAA reauthorization bill of 2018 required secondary barriers in new planes-- this 2019 bill is to retrofit existing aircrafts. I think Boeing is expected to deliver at least 700 aircrafts in 2019 to airlines worldwide -- not certain how many are US based, Won't they want to use the same barrier system fleet wide? If the mobile barrier cart is not in production how can US based airlines that take delivery in the aircraft? Or is the 2018 bill not really extend to existing orders but completely new orders?

My limited understanding of inventions is design, patent, prototype if applicable, and then production -- but if one does not work for a company and cannot manufacture the invention themselves then one has to find investors or license the invention to get it into production. How does the development of the barrier fit the government deadlines.

I live in NYC (since the 90s) and fly a moderate amount -- nowhere near as many on this site. Those wire barriers on planes reminded me of the apartment window gates in NYC.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 11, 2019 at 1:59 am Reason: Fix BB code for readability