FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starting in Switzerland SIM
View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:18 am
Stgermainparis

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by König
Actually, the sim would register in the USA, and you would receive a message from EE regarding the roaming rates. When you sign up for a PAYG plan and top it up, it would wait until you make the first call or start using data in the free roaming zone (mostly EU), which includes Switzerland. I haven't tried using it in Italy, but in France it had a very good reception and LTE speed. If by any chance you are taking A40 and N205 to go to Italy, you will have a very good reception along the motorway and nearby towns. I got a £15/5Gb PAYG plan and was extremely happy with it in Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland and Czech Republic. Highly recommend this UK carrier.
Thanks, König. I was going to buy the sims on eBay. The EE website says they must be activated in UK, but it sounds like others (and you) have had success without even setting foot there. Any issues using a US cc for PAYG package or top up?

EDIT: I see your posts in another Europe sim thread. Looks like US cc is now a problem. I can get one on eBay with a preloaded plan (or voucher) so I don’t have to worry about cc. But now I’m wondering if Brexit will cause UK sims to charge roaming in EU. Ugh!

We were going to take the train from a nice to Venice. Hopefully signal will be good bc longish journey.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Feb 10, 2019 at 9:48 am