Starting in Switzerland SIM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

I see the threads re Switzerland and multi country EU SIMs. But we are starting in Switzerland. Then France and Italy. If my teens don’t have access to data and texting, our trip will be less than ideal. And I’d love to have this wrapped up before we go, as in have the SIMs in hand in US. I’m happy to pay a bit more for that convenience.

I see EE is good, but I’m not sure how that would work if we first try to activate in Switzerland. And I’d love to just get a 2GB plan from the get go so no dealing with topping up. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I see EE is good, but I’m not sure how that would work if we first try to activate in Switzerland. And I’d love to just get a 2GB plan from the get go so no dealing with topping up. Any suggestions?
Actually, the sim would register in the USA, and you would receive a message from EE regarding the roaming rates. When you sign up for a PAYG plan and top it up, it would wait until you make the first call or start using data in the free roaming zone (mostly EU), which includes Switzerland. I haven't tried using it in Italy, but in France it had a very good reception and LTE speed. If by any chance you are taking A40 and N205 to go to Italy, you will have a very good reception along the motorway and nearby towns. I got a Ł15/5Gb PAYG plan and was extremely happy with it in Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland and Czech Republic. Highly recommend this UK carrier.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by König
Actually, the sim would register in the USA, and you would receive a message from EE regarding the roaming rates. When you sign up for a PAYG plan and top it up, it would wait until you make the first call or start using data in the free roaming zone (mostly EU), which includes Switzerland. I haven't tried using it in Italy, but in France it had a very good reception and LTE speed. If by any chance you are taking A40 and N205 to go to Italy, you will have a very good reception along the motorway and nearby towns. I got a Ł15/5Gb PAYG plan and was extremely happy with it in Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland and Czech Republic. Highly recommend this UK carrier.
Thanks, König. I was going to buy the sims on eBay. The EE website says they must be activated in UK, but it sounds like others (and you) have had success without even setting foot there. Any issues using a US cc for PAYG package or top up?

EDIT: I see your posts in another Europe sim thread. Looks like US cc is now a problem. I can get one on eBay with a preloaded plan (or voucher) so I don’t have to worry about cc. But now I’m wondering if Brexit will cause UK sims to charge roaming in EU. Ugh!

We were going to take the train from a nice to Venice. Hopefully signal will be good bc longish journey.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Feb 10, 2019 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:42 am

Thanks, König. I was going to buy the sims on eBay. The EE website says they must be activated in UK, but it sounds like others (and you) have had success without even setting foot there.
Correct. They do say that, bit in reality the Sim will be successfully registered on partner networks ( T-moT-Mo or AT&T). When I put the Sim in the phone for the first time, it took ~5 mins to register on the network, but after that, it was almost immediate (the location and local cellular networks are cached).
But now I’m wondering if Brexit will cause UK sims to charge roaming in EU. Ugh!
Probably not. I'd give it at least 2 years past the upcoming March deadline.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Correct. They do say that, bit in reality the Sim will be successfully registered on partner networks ( T-moT-Mo or AT&T). When I put the Sim in the phone for the first time, it took ~5 mins to register on the network, but after that, it was almost immediate (the location and local cellular networks are cached).

Probably not. I'd give it at least 2 years past the upcoming March deadline.
I’m sure you’re right. Takes time for that stuff to shake out. My issue now is the UK cc for loading data. I think I’ll need to get sims with preloaded voucher or whatever so I don’t have to deal with that.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I have tried to answer on this thread three times, and each time the thread refreshed and I lost what I have written. I have a Three sim card. I bought it off eBay. Have used it in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, and at the end of the month in France. I topped mine off in the states with 20 pounds. Here is one top-up link.https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/. They do charge a premium for this service. Here is another link this is the one I used. Home | UK SIMSUK SIMS | Sim Cards | Top Up. I am sure that EE will work the same as Three. When you get to the country the phone will work.
König likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by powerlifter
I have tried to answer on this thread three times, and each time the thread refreshed and I lost what I have written. I have a Three sim card. I bought it off eBay. Have used it in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, and at the end of the month in France. I topped mine off in the states with 20 pounds. Here is one top-up link.https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/. They do charge a premium for this service. Here is another link this is the one I used. Home | UK SIMSUK SIMS | Sim Cards | Top Up. I am sure that EE will work the same as Three. When you get to the country the phone will work.
Powerlifter, thanks so much for that link! It is so helpful to know where I can get a top up/voucher with paypal/non UK cc. Because I haven't really had to ever use them before, can you tell me if basically I would just buy the 15 pound voucher for Three and then when I followed the instructions below I'd have the All-in-one 15?

Three
Benefit from the simple 3-2-1 plan where calls cost 3p/min, text at 2p per text and 1p/Mb of data.
Choose best value add ons such as All-In-One 10 and All-In-One 15 after you top up.
All-In-One 10: 500MB data,100 minutes,3000 texts valid for one month use.
All-In-One 15: unlimited data,300 minutes,3000 texts valid for one month use.

To Top Up:
Dial 444 from your phone and follow the instructions to top up using a voucher.

Check Balance:
Dial 444 from your handset.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
That is correct. They email you a voucher number. Then you add it to the phone with the sim card inside. That is all you need to do. Look at three again. I have a pay as you go plan. It does not charge me for data. Just for text and voice. There is a 30-day plan that gives you 20gb of data and something like 3000 minutes for 20 pounds. It will be nice as your kids will use data a lot.
The minutes are good if you get separated from the wife or kids for some reason. Your money never expires on pre-pay, but on the 30-day plan, it does expire after 30 days.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by powerlifter
That is correct. They email you a voucher number. Then you add it to the phone with the sim card inside. That is all you need to do. Look at three again. I have a pay as you go plan. It does not charge me for data. Just for text and voice. There is a 30-day plan that gives you 20gb of data and something like 3000 minutes for 20 pounds. It will be nice as your kids will use data a lot.
The minutes are good if you get separated from the wife or kids for some reason. Your money never expires on pre-pay, but on the 30-day plan, it does expire after 30 days.
Perfect! I’ll check their data usage to see how much I need for two weeks. Our last two big international trips were so much more pleasant bc teens had access to their friends via phone, texts, etc. and of course social media and Netflix. It is now a priority when I’m trip planning!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:49 pm

To Top Up:
Dial 444 from your phone and follow the instructions to top up using a voucher.
I am just wondering if it's possible to top up with a voucher online. If the voucher can only be redeemed by dialing a number from the phone, then it wouldn't be possible to top it up from abroad unless you already have some funds for roaming calls. It's probably not a big deal since you can do it right after landing in EU, but still...
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

I am just wondering if it's possible to top up with a voucher online. If the voucher can only be redeemed by dialing a number from the phone, then it wouldn't be possible to top it up from abroad unless you already have some funds for roaming calls. It's probably not a big deal since you can do it right after landing in EU, but still...
Good question. Maybe needs WiFi? Or the sim will allow a bit of data for this purpose?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:47 pm

Or the sim will allow a bit of data for this purpose?
Now that you mentioned it, I recall that my EE sim card came with some data (very little). That would be enough to purchase an add-on online since you need to connect to that website via cellular data and not WiFi.
Stgermainparis likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.