FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Entering NZ Airpoints number when making an A3 booking
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:57 pm
CHCflyer

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ClanJ
Hi CHCflyer, I can perhaps give some perspective on this. I am currently a AIRNZ Elite (for the next few months anyway) and with my partner travel to and from Europe each year for our holidays which always means time in Greece one of our favorite places. So 5 or so years ago She signed up to A3 and very quickly reached Gold so now when we go she re-qualifies with a one-way PE (12000 miles and 4 segments with A3/OA).

We use A3 for most of our Intra-Europe get around because they have a great network, competitively priced (with in flight lollies) even if it means the hub through Athens. Athens Airport is simple, easy and user friendly in our experience so the hub aspect is of little consequence (beats Auckland Airport hands down INMO).. In the past have booked with A3 with her account and have never had a problem with A3 operated and marketed flights entering my NZ number and the consequent status and ADP to my NZ account and of course *A recognition.

From what I have picked up many of the Intra-Greece flights are while sold as A3 are OA operated thus exclude *A benefits but in our case because the other half is A3 Gold it really does not matter. If the flight is with OA it does clearly state this when booking on the A3 site. As stated in one of the replies A3 may have an arrangement with some *A code-share partners that mean *A benefits on OA (Like NZ/Cathy)..

In context to lounge access in Athens at the A3 lounge (recently up-graded) or the LH lounge next door (Worth it for the single malt selection) nor for that matter Thessaloniki have never had a problem when on A3 or *A flights by just showing my NZ card. Also at check-in if have not entered my NZ number had no problem there or use of the premium check-in counter.as a *A. (very different to the mind games NZ are currently playing with *A benefits).

Given the devaluation of the Airpoints programme and also the experience that my partner has enjoyed with A3 I moved to change to A3 last year thus will qualify for gold this year thus no longer chasing NZ re-qualification as in all aspects makes no sense and gives me the freedom to fly any *A carrier in/out NZ without being tied to AIRNZ. The redemption's that she has enjoyed have been really great. This year she was able to book Auckland/London with Thai in business for 750000 miles taxes 19 Euro. Re-redemption TT Flights thru A3 with AIRNZ as the carrier have been easy for her to pick-up as well.
Thanks for your perspective, ClanJ. I live about 45 minutes fast drive from PMR, and fly weekly to CHC and back.
I am also Elite, with 7 banked years - heading for eight. As I mentioned, I do a lot of NZ flying but at their lowest fares so I probably wouldn't gain any earning with any *A membership. The trans-Pac and Asian flying is what boosts my earning. There is also a limit to the status earning on *A with NZ. You can gain elite but the status points have to be majority earned on NZ flights. To be honest, NZ probably works for me but I am finding the kinks in the *A bit frustrating. I have booked a biz fare on LH from MAN to ATH only to find out that P-class fares earn nothing on NZ. Oddly I have a biz fare on LX from ATH to HAM on a P fare and it earns full Y fare points on NZ. You really do need sites like these to help navigate the small print - airlines are gaming us as much as we try to maximise our earnings.
Again, this is interesting feedback. Appreciate your input.