Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Entering NZ Airpoints number when making an A3 booking

Old Feb 8, 19, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I don't usually need to visit the pages of Aegean, helpful as it is, and this may have been raised before (though I did do a search).
I am planning and booking my annual trip to Europe in October and have been buying up some A3 flights around the islands .
During the booking process it asks you to enter your membership number but gives a very limited range of *A options (UA/LH/TK/LX and of course A3). My Wife and I both have gold status but with Air NZ, so can't enter our membership number. You can't retrospectively enter it via Manage my Booking after making the booking. Is it simply down to entering the numbers at check in at the airport?
I really don't want to phone A3 from down here but assume that is my only other option.
And looking forward to some island time in RHO and JMK.
Old Feb 8, 19, 5:09 pm

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
My guess is that the flights you 've booked are codeshares. Although ticketed by A3, they are most likely operated by Olympic Air. Despite OA having been acquired by A3 some years ago, they are not a *A member; hence flying them neither earns you miles nor entitles you to any *G benefits. It happened to me as well some years ago when I didn't have gold status with A3 yet. I had a connection flight with OA from ATH. Ticket purchased from A3 website, on A3's stock, with A3 flight number, and even the aircraft turned out to be A3 metal. So I was surprised to find out that my SK*G card gave me no extra bags, and no lounge access...

Lately they have struck some kind of agreement with airlines such as the ones you mentioned in order for their FFP members to earn miles on OA flights, but apparently not with NZ. No big deal though, Greek domestic flights give very few miles anyway.

Safe travels, and hope you enjoy your trip to the Greek islands. Last time I flew NZ was almost ten years ago on a AKL-LAX flight. A most positive experience, comfy seats, pleasant crew, and decent food for Y. Hope that I get the chance to do that again
Old Feb 8, 19, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Ah - now that makes some sense and thanks E&W.
I have checked and the JMK flights are with the Q400 but I also have a couple of RHO 320 flights which must be Aegean. Or is the arrangemetn with OA less obvious than that? (I flew A3 SKG-ATH and got my NZ bennies, so it can't simply be just domestic services?).
Now I wonder if I will get lounge access at ATH for some of these services.
I am not too worried about JMK - it is a short trip to Tinos, actually - the island birthplace of my Wife's grandfather, but ATH lounge access would be nice.
I travel a lot with NZ - about 150 flights/year mostly domestic but also Tasman and Asia. Flying around NZ is a complete joy compared to the European experience. No security on turbo-props makes for a very relaxed and painless travel experience at regional and major NZ airports.
I am using the train to get around Germany and UK.
Thanks again for your help.
CHCF
Old Feb 8, 19, 6:35 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, TK Gold
You can specify the necessary ffp by contacting Aegean through their official account in facebook.
Previously they successfully solved my similar questions in the chat there.
Old Feb 8, 19, 7:07 pm

And as for calling them from down there, you can always use Skype (or a similar way)!
Old Feb 9, 19, 2:30 am

Programs: A3 *G
No, you'll have no lounge access or other benefits on any of your domestic flights. They are now all "operated by OA", even the ones flown with an Aegean A320. This is true for a small number of international flights too (LCA springs to mind). You can identify these flights because they carry a primary OA flight number (OA nnn) and an A3 'codeshare' for through connections from mainline flights (A3 9nnn).
Old Feb 9, 19, 3:27 am

Programs: NZ Elite A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Hi CHCflyer, I can perhaps give some perspective on this. I am currently a AIRNZ Elite (for the next few months anyway) and with my partner travel to and from Europe each year for our holidays which always means time in Greece one of our favorite places. So 5 or so years ago She signed up to A3 and very quickly reached Gold so now when we go she re-qualifies with a one-way PE (12000 miles and 4 segments with A3/OA).

We use A3 for most of our Intra-Europe get around because they have a great network, competitively priced (with in flight lollies) even if it means the hub through Athens. Athens Airport is simple, easy and user friendly in our experience so the hub aspect is of little consequence (beats Auckland Airport hands down INMO).. In the past have booked with A3 with her account and have never had a problem with A3 operated and marketed flights entering my NZ number and the consequent status and ADP to my NZ account and of course *A recognition.

From what I have picked up many of the Intra-Greece flights are while sold as A3 are OA operated thus exclude *A benefits but in our case because the other half is A3 Gold it really does not matter. If the flight is with OA it does clearly state this when booking on the A3 site. As stated in one of the replies A3 may have an arrangement with some *A code-share partners that mean *A benefits on OA (Like NZ/Cathy)..

In context to lounge access in Athens at the A3 lounge (recently up-graded) or the LH lounge next door (Worth it for the single malt selection) nor for that matter Thessaloniki have never had a problem when on A3 or *A flights by just showing my NZ card. Also at check-in if have not entered my NZ number had no problem there or use of the premium check-in counter.as a *A. (very different to the mind games NZ are currently playing with *A benefits).

Given the devaluation of the Airpoints programme and also the experience that my partner has enjoyed with A3 I moved to change to A3 last year thus will qualify for gold this year thus no longer chasing NZ re-qualification as in all aspects makes no sense and gives me the freedom to fly any *A carrier in/out NZ without being tied to AIRNZ. The redemption's that she has enjoyed have been really great. This year she was able to book Auckland/London with Thai in business for 750000 miles taxes 19 Euro. Re-redemption TT Flights thru A3 with AIRNZ as the carrier have been easy for her to pick-up as well.
Old Feb 9, 19, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
And as for calling them from down there, you can always use Skype (or a similar way)!
Now, now - you with your la-di-da metropolitan ways. We have better uses for twine than connecting it to your Skype-thingy (keeping my trousers up, for starters).
Old Feb 9, 19, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
Hi CHCflyer, I can perhaps give some perspective on this. I am currently a AIRNZ Elite (for the next few months anyway) and with my partner travel to and from Europe each year for our holidays which always means time in Greece one of our favorite places. So 5 or so years ago She signed up to A3 and very quickly reached Gold so now when we go she re-qualifies with a one-way PE (12000 miles and 4 segments with A3/OA).

We use A3 for most of our Intra-Europe get around because they have a great network, competitively priced (with in flight lollies) even if it means the hub through Athens. Athens Airport is simple, easy and user friendly in our experience so the hub aspect is of little consequence (beats Auckland Airport hands down INMO).. In the past have booked with A3 with her account and have never had a problem with A3 operated and marketed flights entering my NZ number and the consequent status and ADP to my NZ account and of course *A recognition.

From what I have picked up many of the Intra-Greece flights are while sold as A3 are OA operated thus exclude *A benefits but in our case because the other half is A3 Gold it really does not matter. If the flight is with OA it does clearly state this when booking on the A3 site. As stated in one of the replies A3 may have an arrangement with some *A code-share partners that mean *A benefits on OA (Like NZ/Cathy)..

In context to lounge access in Athens at the A3 lounge (recently up-graded) or the LH lounge next door (Worth it for the single malt selection) nor for that matter Thessaloniki have never had a problem when on A3 or *A flights by just showing my NZ card. Also at check-in if have not entered my NZ number had no problem there or use of the premium check-in counter.as a *A. (very different to the mind games NZ are currently playing with *A benefits).

Given the devaluation of the Airpoints programme and also the experience that my partner has enjoyed with A3 I moved to change to A3 last year thus will qualify for gold this year thus no longer chasing NZ re-qualification as in all aspects makes no sense and gives me the freedom to fly any *A carrier in/out NZ without being tied to AIRNZ. The redemption's that she has enjoyed have been really great. This year she was able to book Auckland/London with Thai in business for 750000 miles taxes 19 Euro. Re-redemption TT Flights thru A3 with AIRNZ as the carrier have been easy for her to pick-up as well.
Thanks for your perspective, ClanJ. I live about 45 minutes fast drive from PMR, and fly weekly to CHC and back.
I am also Elite, with 7 banked years - heading for eight. As I mentioned, I do a lot of NZ flying but at their lowest fares so I probably wouldn't gain any earning with any *A membership. The trans-Pac and Asian flying is what boosts my earning. There is also a limit to the status earning on *A with NZ. You can gain elite but the status points have to be majority earned on NZ flights. To be honest, NZ probably works for me but I am finding the kinks in the *A bit frustrating. I have booked a biz fare on LH from MAN to ATH only to find out that P-class fares earn nothing on NZ. Oddly I have a biz fare on LX from ATH to HAM on a P fare and it earns full Y fare points on NZ. You really do need sites like these to help navigate the small print - airlines are gaming us as much as we try to maximise our earnings.
Again, this is interesting feedback. Appreciate your input.
Old Feb 10, 19, 12:21 am

Programs: NZ Elite A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Yes the Intra-Europe can be tricky in terms of FF returns. The issue that made me change to A3 was the change to the Regional Status Point return which took me out of the game in terms of Elite and Gold requal with AIRNZ because I am HLZ based.. But necessity is the mother of invention so made me look at other options. For example I now book my TT HLZ/MEL (via WLG) with Singapore which means no drive to Auckland, parking fees or 3 hr check in., In terms of elapsed time its quicker and over all cost cheaper.

I have just looked at options HLZ/LHR for our trip in Aug/Sep with Singapore return pricing 7160 Biz, 5070 PE and 2254 E.which is way cheaper than I can find on our dates with AIRNZ in all classes but means an extra stop over of course. .

Search this Thread