FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SeaTac in the snow - 2019 edition
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:57 pm
Raymoland

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I am on the AA flight to DFW at 3:39pm (had to switch flights from AS because alternate flight was too much $). Inbound on time. Hopefully things will clear out a bit by then. I am not sure what the de-icing rules would be. If precip has stopped for a preceding amount of time and aircraft is clear of snow/ice, is de-icing needed? I look forward to getting to Dallas and 75-80 degree weather right now.
If there is no snow/ice on the airplane and it is not currently snowing, there would be no reason to deice. However if it is snowing deice will be needed and obviously, if there is snow/ice on the airplane, deice will be needed (other than minor amounts of frost which is permissable). Note that the airplane can land, have it not be snowing and still need deicing because it picked up ice in it's descent through the clouds. Usually only an issue if the temp at the surface is 0c or below. Finally, fog and low temperatures may also require deice. And lastly to clarify the difference, DEICE fluid if orange and is used to remove existing contaminants from the airplane. ANTIICE Fluid is green and is used to prevent contaminants from adhering to the airplane. If an airplane needs Anti ice, it MUST always be Deiced (even if nothing is currently on it). However if there is nothing falling from the sky, an airplane can be only Deiced and does not have to be anti iced. If Anti ice is needed, the whole process will usually take twice as long since two coats are needed.