FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:10 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jperiod
Forgive me, I'm just now hopping into this conversation because I had a question about my own cert, but this caught my eye. Do you mean you had an original category 1-5 and others have been able to convert them to new category 1-5 certificates?? I thought they were all to become 1-4s??

I have an OC5 attached to a reservation in July 2019 (when the cert expires as well). I would like to change that reservation. Am I understanding the process correctly that I can ask them to detach the cert, cancel the reservation, and then attach the cert to a new reservation? Ideally, I think I'd like to just extend the expiration date another year to be used elsewhere because we'd rather book another hotel brand for this trip (unless there is a way to convert this to a NC5?? without extra points?). If they still allow extending, what would be the best way to accomplish?
It is not a free conversion - it is an upgrade with additional 60k pts IF one can find an agent to do so. Using the word "Convert" has least resistance versus using the word "Upgrade" which would almost certainly meet a firm NO.

What you are asking for, the information have been repeated many many many times in this thread, with no shortage of actual examples.

Since you said you have not followed the thread, you really should READ both the Wiki and 10 pages back to get yourself familiarized with what has been going on, what can be done, if approach it TACTFULLY. There are enough real life examples on successes and failures so you can learn from others' experiences.