FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back up FFP
Thread: Back up FFP
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:08 am
Mordac

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by ratypus
if your travel pattern is largely transatlantic, then I don't see how using Star Alliance (or having Star Alliance status) will be that practical for you, unless you plan on flying United a lot...

LH business is nothing to write home about

Swiss business is very nice, but I wouldn't think worth the stop-over in Switzerland for transatlantic flying

For short-haul in Europe, all you really need is BA Silver or "basic" Gold anyway: only at LHR/LGW is there any difference between Silver and Gold in terms of check-in, security, lounges etc.

And BA Silver/Gold is easier to earn and maintain (I think) that the equivalents on Star Alliance. I looked at switching to Star Alliance and realized it would be a much closer call every year to earn and maintain Star Gold than it is BA Gold, especially based out of London

In short - I don't really see the point of building up a second FFP for your travel pattern. If you want to take some 'wild-card' flights without chasing status, then go for it - Swiss business is a nice change from Club World! but given the offering you don't really need status on Star Alliance to enjoy business class travel on those airlines...
If you live in "The Regions," a quick stopover in AMS (other hubs are available) is often not any more inconvenient than making the trek down to LHR.