FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:42 am
arcticflier

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by trueblu
Fair point. We took a taxi back from Wat Pho this afternoon (again, not peak rush hour) and although there was traffic, it was pretty reasonable for any large world city -- not talking mid-West here (my wife's family is from MN, and they get shocked at traffic anywhere else...).

As an aside: taxi from Wat Pho to the IC was ~ 100 THB. No idea if that was doctored meter (it took about 4-5 attempts to flag a taxi that was willing to use the meter). To compare, for the 4 of us (including one infant) _to_ Wat Pho via BTS/ river ferry cost over 200 THB (and that wasn't the tourist boat, but the express "gold flag boat", 20 THB each)....We enjoyed taking the river boat, but otherwise, for a family, no reason to not take a taxi around town imo....

tb
The Chinese New Year is this morning and many families have made it a long weekend. It actually started monday. The traffic should be liight until Thursday anyway.

i hope you enjoyed Wat Pho and if you got to the area about 05:00 then you could have seen a very busy flower market.

Any chance you stopped at the SBUX there on the river? Its quite an enjoyable deck to enjoy a coffee?

Not much chance your taxi meter was doctored. Far more typjcal the driver simply takes a slower or longer route for an extra 25 baht.

Not using the meter is not always a bad idea. When I am in a hurry, I will typically skip the meter...its amazing how much quicker you will get to your destination...Lol

Last edited by arcticflier; Feb 4, 2019 at 2:47 am