FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade After Booking Confirmation
View Single Post
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:47 pm
blum81

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by Zawnet

under “Manage My Booking” - you dont look for an upgrade but select the option to change the booking. Select the same date and you would be given option, amongst others, to change to business class but it would not be in I or Z. The option would be in D, C etc depending on availability. If any change fees are payable, it would also be priced together with any fare difference.
Thanks Zawnet. I see it now. Looks like I'm only offered a D fare and not the Z.

Originally Posted by talfred
Upgrades at counter will mostly likely be in I class.Few options in your case:

1. Reissue the ticket to D class as upsell won't incur reissue fee

2. Reissue the ticket to a higher econ fare class but will incur RM200 change fee and fare difference

3. Depending on when you are flying. Keep monitoring for Z fares as "some" but not all Z could be "upgradeable" without a fresh booking.

4. Make the ticket into an Open ticket or get full refund - use it for some other route within the same region or keep for future. Valid for one year just pay reissue fee and fare differences

4.1 buy a new Z fare ticket outright

Thanks, my gut was telling me upgrading at the counter would most likely be an I fare, which does nothing for me regarding CX points.
I may go the route of cancelling my V fare with the 300myr penalty then re-buying the Z fare which is still cheaper than upgrading to the D fare. Z and D don't have a points difference so I'm not gaining anything above by purchasing/upgrading to a D fare.

Appreciate both of your inputs on this!