Upgrade After Booking Confirmation

Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Upgrade After Booking Confirmation

I just booked an economy V class round trip from KUL to MNL for a work trip which I'm allowed to expense.

I'm a OWE via Cathay Pacific and V class doesn't get me any Marco Polo points. If I upgrade to Business Z I'm able to get 50pts round trip.

Does anyone know if I can call in and upgrade to business Z and pay the difference out of my own pocket?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Yes you can. Depending on your fare rules you might have to pay a fee in addition to the fare difference.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: NZ
It depends on how the original ticket was booked. If it was booked by yourself on the MH website then you should be able to upgrade it online using Manage My Booking, otherwise a call to MH will get it done. If the original ticket was booked through a TA then you need to go back through that TA to upgrade it. That would mean your company's corporate TA if they booked it.

Don't assume you will be able to upgrade the ticket to a promotional Z fare. I had a case on a KUL/AKL/KUL ticket last year where I was unable to upgrade to a particularly cheap Z fare they were promoting at the time. The upgrade had to be to a D fare (which I didn't do). And as SilverChris says, a fee may apply in addition to the fare differential.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Yes you can. Depending on your fare rules you might have to pay a fee in addition to the fare difference.
I'm ok with a change fee if it applies

Originally Posted by minz56
It depends on how the original ticket was booked. If it was booked by yourself on the MH website then you should be able to upgrade it online using Manage My Booking, otherwise a call to MH will get it done. If the original ticket was booked through a TA then you need to go back through that TA to upgrade it. That would mean your company's corporate TA if they booked it.

Don't assume you will be able to upgrade the ticket to a promotional Z fare. I had a case on a KUL/AKL/KUL ticket last year where I was unable to upgrade to a particularly cheap Z fare they were promoting at the time. The upgrade had to be to a D fare (which I didn't do). And as SilverChris says, a fee may apply in addition to the fare differential.
I booked through the MH website for the economy V ticket but when I logged in to check Manage My Booking I don't see any options to upgrade. I did get an email to bid on an upgrade but I don't want to do that since I'll be given an I class ticket which doesn't go towards my Marco Polo CX status.

I guess I'll give them a call and see what they say. Hopefully they allow me to pay the difference + fee to get a Z fare.

Appreciate the feedback both!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56

Just called and same thing as you, they didn't allow me to upgrade to Z fare since it has to be a newly purchased fare. Only option is to cancel my V fare and purchase a new Z.

Does anyone know if I can do an upgrade at the counter and if so what fare class would I be getting at KUL check in?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by blum81
I'm ok with a change fee if it applies

I booked through the MH website for the economy V ticket but when I logged in to check Manage My Booking I don't see any options to upgrade. I did get an email to bid on an upgrade but I don't want to do that since I'll be given an I class ticket which doesn't go towards my Marco Polo CX status.

I guess I'll give them a call and see what they say. Hopefully they allow me to pay the difference + fee to get a Z fare.

Appreciate the feedback both!

under Manage My Booking - you dont look for an upgrade but select the option to change the booking. Select the same date and you would be given option, amongst others, to change to business class but it would not be in I or Z. The option would be in D, C etc depending on availability. If any change fees are payable, it would also be priced together with any fare difference.
blum81 and minz56 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by blum81
Just called and same thing as you, they didn't allow me to upgrade to Z fare since it has to be a newly purchased fare. Only option is to cancel my V fare and purchase a new Z.

Does anyone know if I can do an upgrade at the counter and if so what fare class would I be getting at KUL check in?
Upgrades at counter will mostly likely be in I class.Few options in your case:

1. Reissue the ticket to D class as upsell won't incur reissue fee

2. Reissue the ticket to a higher econ fare class but will incur RM200 change fee and fare difference

3. Depending on when you are flying. Keep monitoring for Z fares as "some" but not all Z could be "upgradeable" without a fresh booking.

4. Make the ticket into an Open ticket or get full refund - use it for some other route within the same region or keep for future. Valid for one year just pay reissue fee and fare differences

4.1 buy a new Z fare ticket outright
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:15 am

Note that some economy RBD do attract a change fee even if you upsell (upbuy?) to business class. It also depends where the ticket was originally sold, for example a Q class sold in Malaysia may be more restrictive than one sold in, say, Indonesia.

i know it sounds ridiculous to have to pay a penalty for the privilege of giving MH more money ...
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zawnet

under Manage My Booking - you dont look for an upgrade but select the option to change the booking. Select the same date and you would be given option, amongst others, to change to business class but it would not be in I or Z. The option would be in D, C etc depending on availability. If any change fees are payable, it would also be priced together with any fare difference.
Thanks Zawnet. I see it now. Looks like I'm only offered a D fare and not the Z.

Originally Posted by talfred
Upgrades at counter will mostly likely be in I class.Few options in your case:

1. Reissue the ticket to D class as upsell won't incur reissue fee

2. Reissue the ticket to a higher econ fare class but will incur RM200 change fee and fare difference

3. Depending on when you are flying. Keep monitoring for Z fares as "some" but not all Z could be "upgradeable" without a fresh booking.

4. Make the ticket into an Open ticket or get full refund - use it for some other route within the same region or keep for future. Valid for one year just pay reissue fee and fare differences

4.1 buy a new Z fare ticket outright

Thanks, my gut was telling me upgrading at the counter would most likely be an I fare, which does nothing for me regarding CX points.
I may go the route of cancelling my V fare with the 300myr penalty then re-buying the Z fare which is still cheaper than upgrading to the D fare. Z and D don't have a points difference so I'm not gaining anything above by purchasing/upgrading to a D fare.

Appreciate both of your inputs on this!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.